Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    I own several hammocks, but the DD Frontline is the one I take for all my overnight camping trips.
    wabi

Thanks everybody, sounds like a decent option. I haven't ever slept in one, but I have seen one on a table at a gun show. I have to agree, the quality seemed top notch. Since you all seem pretty happy with them...

...next question is the logical follow on. Which one? I'm in the North East USA, our falls and winters are great, but out summers are way too humid. I'm leaning toward the DD with the breathable base to help with that issue a bit. What do you guys think? In our area, there are trees a plenty - so the only time I wouldn't be able to go airborne would be if a ranger or someone said I couldn't use the trees. (I don't tent to hike on trails, or camp in designated camp areas - so I rarely see a ranger. I find making my own path is more interesting than hiking the premade trails. Of course, where the trails cross private property - I honor them since the land owner is granting passage. Can't abuse that niceness from the landowners. In state land though... I'm on my own). Thoughts on which is the best DD?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    HH Hex tarp
    Insulation
    unsponsored UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    ...next question is the logical follow on. Which one? I'm in the North East USA, our falls and winters are great, but out summers are way too humid. Thoughts on which is the best DD?
    If your worried about humidity I would steer clear of the DD Travel Hammock. Some people report it can get a bit humid in one of them in a British Spring. Its because the base of them is not breathable so it can be used as a bivi on the ground.

I would recommend a DD Frontline. It has the built in fly net and does not suffer from the humidity issues of the Travel. I have the Frontline myself and love it.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    I selected the "Frontline" because it IS breathable. I can always use my tarp as a groundcloth if I have to go to the ground (but I don't plan on ever testing that option).
    wabi

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    I have 2 Frontline and 1 Travel. I use the Travel when I hike in high altitudes where it is a risk that there ain´t no trees available. The it´s nice with a waterproof hammock. The Frontline is for use in forest because it´s breathable and no risk for condensation.

I have noticed that DD hammocks are great for backsleepers but not as great for sidesleepers. Because it´s pretty narrow it is difficult to avoid shoulder squeeze when laying on the side. DD Hammocks are supposed to hung pretty tight and that means problems when you lay on your side. I´ve tried setting it up very loose but I haven´t got it really perfect. It works but I´m not very satisfied.

Instead I´ve bought a Warbonnet Blackbird and that one works better when I´m laying on the side.

So:
    If you mostly lay on your back while sleeping DD Hammocks will work fine for you.
    If you mostly lay on your side something else, like the WBBB or similar would probably work better.

But that´s only my opinion, I could be totally wrong
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

"Hanging in a better place now H.I.P Andy"
    I've got the travel model, love it, not had any experience with condensation problems either.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock / Bivi
    Tarp
    dd tarp MultiCam
    Suspension
    webbing
    I bought a dd travel hammock and slept one night in it. Not bad .
    But my son took over,so i bought a new one. That one was taken by my daugther
    now I sleep for the first time in 15 years alone again with my wife in our tent

Hammock
    dd frontline
    Tarp
    fox tarp
    Insulation
    thermarest prolite
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by kåtanfrans View Post
    I bought a dd travel hammock and slept one night in it. Not bad .
    But my son took over,so i bought a new one. That one was taken by my daugther
    now I sleep for the first time in 15 years alone again with my wife in our tent
    Hey Frans, welcome fellow dutchman!

I'm happy with the frontline, it's a good quality, low cost hammock.
    The standard suspension is only good for tossing it into the fire, they stretch a lot.
    After getting other suspensions I'm very happy with my dd.

I modded the bugnet (made a hole through the bugnet suspension, it won't tear there) so I can get a ridgeline in/under the bugnet and raise the bugnet without other means.

It's a strong and comfortable hammock. I'm 6'-8" and 100 kg and do fine with the dd frontline

Hammock
    2010 DD Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    thermo ether 6
    Suspension
    SMC Rings/25mmPoly
    Images
    I love the DD frontline its pure heaven in the Australian summer & the travel hammock is just awesome in winter. I use 24mm seatbelt webbing with smc descender rings on each end all to easy. And the tarps are great too the 3x3 is nice and well made, the XL 4.5m x 3m can be enclosed to make a hang more weather proof too. Cheers.
    Jeff's Touring Gear
    http://jeffstouringgear.com.au/ for light weight touring and camping gear for your next adventure in Australia [email protected] 02-66815651

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    I know there are some followers to the DD hammock, I am not one of them, not because it sucks but because I have better options. Check out my youtube review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9aQpv8AmvY
    You will see it in full action as a bivy and hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast