Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Thanks. The trick with this method, like any other, is finding two walls the right distance apart without having to sell your furniture.

@ Qchan -- Having done quite a lot of trim carpentry, I'd be careful hanging from a door. Some carpenters use surprising few nails when installing a door. I've seen plenty of times where the jamb itself had no fasteners in it at all, just in the trim. You could easily fix the issue by removing a couple of the short hinge screws, and replacing them with a 2.5 or 3" screw into the stud.

I mostly try not to because my boss is my landlord as well and I just don't want to get caught.(I'm working on making a hammock stand to prevent this from happening)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    @ Qchan -- Having done quite a lot of trim carpentry, I'd be careful hanging from a door. Some carpenters use surprising few nails when installing a door. I've seen plenty of times where the jamb itself had no fasteners in it at all, just in the trim. You could easily fix the issue by removing a couple of the short hinge screws, and replacing them with a 2.5 or 3" screw into the stud.
    Another thing to remember is that doors and windows have what's known as a framing opening that is larger than the casing itself. The door casing is placed in the opening and stabilized with shims. The difference in size can be as much as 1" total difference. This is standard construction technique to make sure the door can be squared up so it opens and closes properly. Putting hooks in the door framing (often double 2x4 construction is totally different than hanging from the hinges.

If you are going to hang from the walls make sure you know something about the construction of those walls and the various shortcuts that can be hidden by bargain basement builders.

Let me be clear... the vast majority of builders are skilled and honest using sound practices and materials. But do you really want to bet the ranch when you don't know who built it or how?

edit: be careful about replacing the hinge screws with longer ones. It is possible to distort the casing of the door and thus distrupt the workings. It can be done succdessfully if the shims are placed at the hinge points. But if not you can suddenly have door that won't open or close like it used to.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 05-09-2011 at 16:21.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I have 2 Dreamweavers in the house. One in my daughter's room and one in the basement where I go to "work on stuff".
    Here is a link to photos of the hammock and supports in the daughter's room:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/sweetandsaucy/

The boards run at right angles to rafters. A year later, no pull is seen in the walls or paint.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If you are going to hang from the walls make sure you know something about the construction of those walls ....
    Very good point. In my case I knew I had wood framing on one side, which got lag screws. The other wall is cinder block. That bracket is attached with 6 tapcons with fender washers to distibute the load.

It's also very important to pay attention to where electrical outlets and plumbing are. I avoid studs that have an outlet on them. Electricians are never consistent where and if they bore a hole and run the cable thru the stud. One thing to lighten your pack weight, a whole nother thing to be en-light-ened. Another place to be carefull is a bathroom wall with the sink/toilet on the other side. A little investigative work can indicate where the pipes are. Just pay attention.

Totally right Rev on the door framing.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    I have 2 Dreamweavers in the house. One in my daughter's room and one in the basement where I go to "work on stuff".
    Here is a link to photos of the hammock and supports in the daughter's room:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/sweetandsaucy/

The boards run at right angles to rafters. A year later, no pull is seen in the walls or paint.
    Nice IKEA hooks!!!
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I know a little something about the construction of my home. So I went into the frame around my closet and into the frame around my window with lag screw end eyebolts. If in doubt, cut it out. Patching drywall is nothing and it would be a weekends work to find your mark, cut out the drywall there, put in an extra 2x4 and fix it well to the header/footer and adjacent 2x4 then patch it back up.

I didn't have to do that though as my members are full length double 2x4's attached firmly so I just have two Eyebolts sitting out of the wall. I've got a treadmill on one side and a microwave/stand on the other. With the hammock stored there is plenty of room and with the hammock out, there's still plenty of room, just have to duck under the hammock if you want to go from one side to the other and it's too easy to store to have to do that.

Here's the first of 6 pics of my setup starting with my Granddaughter playing in it. She loves to swing in the hammock. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...pictureid=6724

I started sleeping in the Hammock at the first of the year. I don't sleep as well on a bed and don't plan on going back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12