MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's all magic. It really has nothing to do with physics or algebra or anything else based in reality as far as I am concerned it just works and that's how I like it.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    I was looking at doing the same, been posting about it on BCUK

First my Idea...
    With the blue whoopies I can adjust ground clearance, head height and foot height (compensating with the red whoopie)
    With the green whoopies I can choose where between the trees I want to be situated (avoiding a puddle, clump of thistles etc. Theoretically I don't need to be in the centre with a SRL)
    With the red whoopie I can adjust the hang of the hammock (using the green & blue whoopies to compensate)

then came the controversy...
    Not sure the short adjustable lengths attached to the ends of the hammocks but before the ridgeline are needed. Surely with the minimum bury length required for the whoopieslings must make the minimum tree distance larger, and mean you have to place your straps higher to achieve the same angles a shorter oal hammock.
    I'm with HB on the small whoopies, I think you've found a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist.
    I appreciate what your trying to achieve, but looks too complicated to me

Getting the whoopies extra tight was an issue and I ditched the soft shackles in favour of Maillons as I like being able to add stuff to em whilst under tension.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    montainm, I think you are opening up a lot of variability into your hang. Everytime you adjust your blue whoopies, you will need to correspondingly adjust your red whoopies to maintain the same hang angles in your hammock itself. I think you will basically be re-dialing in the hammock every time you hang it.

Also, based on your picture, trying to keep your suspension and ridgeline basically flat like you have it is going to exert a tremendous force on the suspension and trees.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    Aye - but once I've got my desired lengths dialled in and I'm comfy then I'll lock both blues and the reds in place with a simple knot on the tail of each whoopie - most of the time this will never change - but it does give me options if I need to.

I've been advised on the horizontal load so I'm going to hang the tree huggers a bit higher next time. But I'm also going to pop my fishing scales in there to get a true measure as when tested it seemed to take it in it's stride.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikums View Post
    How does the ridgeline work? (A free body diagram would be helpful.)
    Sorry for the late post, but my Ridgeline works GREAT and I've even attached a diagram so you can see it. Not sure about the physics behind it. It just works!

Oh wait. Wrong type of Ridgeline! My bad...

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    It's all magic. It really has nothing to do with physics or algebra or anything else based in reality as far as I am concerned it just works and that's how I like it.
    Yes! Magic = good, physics = bad. Though I must admit, I kind of enjoyed slogging through Grizz's writeup...reminds me why I steered myself away from the world of engineering!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    I've been advised on the horizontal load so I'm going to hang the tree huggers a bit higher next time. But I'm also going to pop my fishing scales in there to get a true measure as when tested it seemed to take it in it's stride.
    Based on the weight and angles, you could easily be 1000+ lbs. of force. I would hate to see you tear up your scale.

But, if you have fish scales that hold this kind of weight, I definitely would like to go fishing with you!
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Sorry for the late post, but my Ridgeline works GREAT and I've even attached a diagram so you can see it. Not sure about the physics behind it. It just works!

Oh wait. Wrong type of Ridgeline! My bad...
    Great photo, but hope your head is hanging uphill, or your gonna get a skull knockin headache the way your Ridgeline is inclined!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12