Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Images
    There's room for Cranky Bear to shuttle back to the car, as long as he doesn't mind getting up early to catch the ride!

On that, it's a toss up whether to finish the hike Saturday evening, or Sunday morning. I'd like to hit up the ice cream stand Saturday, as I doubt it'll be open Sunday. With a 4+ hour drive afterwards, Sunday morning may be a better depart time.

LRR & CB: We could do one of the three
    - hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, head home
    - hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, hike back in and camp out
    - hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, drive to the cars, hike in the South terminal and camp out

Just thoughts with no rush. To be decided once we are out there and see what the area's like. I'm trying to maximize the trip, while relaxing at the same time.

16 miles hike day 1
    15 miles day 2
    14-16 miles day 3
    14-16 miles day 4

Not a real big deal to me, but I don't want to rush or push anyone. There's plenty of daylight, and plenty of rest areas and views from what I can tell to really enjoy this trip.

I'm going to check with the outfitter early next week to see what the water situation is like. I usually only carry 2qts, but can and will carry double that if I believe we'll need it.

LRR and CB: If ya'll could have some water at your cars, it might come in handy as the Southern half of the trail is the driest from what I've read.

Images
    Here's a repost of the itenerary for refresh/review

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    I've perused the guidebook and come up with the following tentative itenerary. I'll be working until midnight the 12th, and driving directly to the outfitters when I get off. I'll get a little snooze in my car in the parking lot, and be up and ready to go around 7:30-8. So:

Wed 13 July - 7:30 - 8 am step off from Pine Creek Outfitters. Mile 16.1 - hike to just past Bradley Wales picnic area. No camping in or near picnic area. Guidebook lists excellent spot at mile 16.1 Hopefully Ramblin' Rev can meet up with us there for a night.

Thur 14 July - hike to mile 30.2. Guidebook lists excellent camping here. 30.4 is southern trail head. I will be meeting up with Lazy River Road here around 4 pm

Frid 15 July - Follow Pine Creek Trail to Blackwell, the road over creek joining up with Bohen Run Trail. Follow BRT up passing a waterfall, rejoing WRT at mile 26.5. Follow WRT N. to where ever for the night. All depends on how we feel, how long we spend in Blackwell or possibly at noted swimming hole near falls, or any particular vistas we passed heading South that we may want to head to for this night.

Sat 16 July - hike back to North trail head, stop at Sunset Ice Cream for a celebration, then back to the outfitters. I'll be shuttling LRR back to the S. trail head and have room for 2 more if anyone wishes to join for the 2nd half of this trip.

Then it's head home and take Sunday as a day of rest.

There's room for Cranky Bear to shuttle back to the car, as long as he doesn't mind getting up early to catch the ride!

On that, it's a toss up whether to finish the hike Saturday evening, or Sunday morning. I'd like to hit up the ice cream stand Saturday, as I doubt it'll be open Sunday. With a 4+ hour drive afterwards, Sunday morning may be a better depart time.

LRR & CB: We could do one of the three
    - hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, head home
    - hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, hike back in and camp out
    - hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, drive to the cars, hike in the South terminal and camp out

Just thoughts with no rush. To be decided once we are out there and see what the area's like. I'm trying to maximize the trip, while relaxing at the same time.

16 miles hike day 1
    15 miles day 2
    14-16 miles day 3
    14-16 miles day 4

Not a real big deal to me, but I don't want to rush or push anyone. There's plenty of daylight, and plenty of rest areas and views from what I can tell to really enjoy this trip.

I'm going to check with the outfitter early next week to see what the water situation is like. I usually only carry 2qts, but can and will carry double that if I believe we'll need it.

LRR and CB: If ya'll could have some water at your cars, it might come in handy as the Southern half of the trail is the driest from what I've read.
    It all sounds great, LRR is my ride so I am at his mercy, but I like the sound of idea two (- hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, hike back in and camp out), and three (- hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, drive to the cars, hike in the South terminal and camp out)! so basically , yea I like it !

Sure havin some water will be no problem, does anyone know of the water status on the trails? I carry two liters, but can carry more if needed!

Also if there is a grocery store nearby on the last night we could do steaks or somethin??? I can't seem to locate my good cooler (leavin a cheaper one in a car in summer really ain't the best idea) or I would just load that sucker up with steak and shrimp (I got a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer)!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    A great swimming hole is at Rattlesnake parking lot at the southern end of WRT.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm trying to get my act together and do some biking out there, but I have to be in work that weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    It all sounds great, LRR is my ride so I am at his mercy, but I like the sound of idea two (- hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, hike back in and camp out), and three (- hike out the North terminal Saturday, get ice cream, drive to the cars, hike in the South terminal and camp out)! so basically , yea I like it !

Sure havin some water will be no problem, does anyone know of the water status on the trails? I carry two liters, but can carry more if needed!

Also if there is a grocery store nearby on the last night we could do steaks or somethin??? I can't seem to locate my good cooler (leavin a cheaper one in a car in summer really ain't the best idea) or I would just load that sucker up with steak and shrimp (I got a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer)!
    I agree with the two of you and want to maximize my time in the woods. I like idea 2 or 3 but that can can be a game time/later decision. And yes ice cream sounds like the best idea ever def game for that. I also like the idea to hike into the N/S terminus, camp put Saturday night and leave Sunday. I want to maximize my hammock time. It sounds like we all do.

We will def bring water. I got one of those 5 gallon jugs I can bring with me. I also have a cooler I can bring and pack with cold beverages, ill bring chips and snacks for the parking lot to munch down on. Deucalion the daily mileage looks great and Sunday will be be just how far we decide to hike back in on Saturday night correct? OOOOOHHHHH getting so excited.

OOOHHH and another thing. Is the weather going to be hot and humid or do the temps drop a little bit in N. PA. Is their a zip code or a does any one know the town closest to the trail so I/we can check weather report prior to hitting the trail.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Hey guys. Just want to make sure ya know I'll be there starting wednesday night. (ok?). I planned on joining up at Bradley on Wednesday night and join the rest of the hike. Is there room in the trunk to get a ride back to Bradley on Sat/sunday? I'll be bringing plenty of water for both the trip down the WRT and back if needed. Just bought my new superfeet tonight and will be breaking them out over the next week .
    Last edited by Pro Vagabond; 07-05-2011 at 21:21.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Vagabond View Post
    Hey guys. Just want to make sure ya know I'll be there starting wednesday night. (ok?). I planned on joining up at Bradley on Wednesday night and join the rest of the hike. Is there room in the trunk to get a ride back to Bradley on Sat/sunday? I'll be bringing plenty of water for both the trip down the WRT and back if needed. Just bought my new superfeet tonight and will be breaking them out over the next week .
    It'll be tight, but we'll have room. Going to be fun as I don't know the roads. After spending a few days in the area and perusing the 2 maps I have I'm sure we'll work a plan to get you back to your car with out issue!

Wednesday we may camp N of Bradley instead of S. All depends on the area. Rev and Sweetbabyd are meeting us there as well. We'll more than likely meet up at the picnic area and decide which way to go from there. Won't be more than a mile either way, so we shouldn't be too hard to find.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Sweetbabyd... what's your eta at my place? Makes a difference in terms of being easy to find.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Ahhhhh dang it, what am I gonna do now?????? Listen just yell back at me from the trail to wake me up !!!!!

I don't know how I missed this the first time, haha !
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast