Thread: need some ideas

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle

need some ideas

I came across a pretty light for its size 12x6 tarp on the cheap and was wondering if any of you had some suggestions on cutting it for a different size or is 6 feet enough coverage for mild/moderate rain or warm sleeping on a 40 degree night . I can sew pretty good (function over form) and do not mind cutting it. I appreciate any suggestions, thanks in advance - Bob

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    I would set it up over your hammock and check it out. The 6 ft width gives you 3 ft over hang each side, which should be enough. A lot of hammocks are around 10 long so a foot extra at each end is not unreasonable. Maybe shorten to 11 ft. But I would try it out before you get out the scissors.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    ok so I pitched two tarps in yesterdays rain and I have to say the 3 feet on each side will not be enough. My other tarp made from tyvek in this shape http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_(geometry) , I got it by cutting a 4 x9 piece diagonally and flipping one side over . It is about a foot wider on each side but it tapers off towards the feet which is ok as long as my shoulders are covered. The only drawback is that you get opposite sides of the fabric when you flip the triangle over and the color is off , so to make one with the same color on each side I would need two tarps and then I would have 2 6x12 tarps in front of me just waiting to be sewn together to make a 12x12 Did I lose anybody yet ? Moral of the story I can have 2, 12x8(at the widest) kite shaped tarps or one 12x12. I do have the Mrs to think about. Any suggestions ? BTW here is the tarp http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Wa...ssory/16472403 I havent put it on the scale but its really lite.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Why not use it asymmetrically? Hang it from corner to corner... You can find your ideal length by folding it to making it shorter and test-hanging it...

6x8 would give you a 10' ridgeline,
    6x9 would give your about 10'9" ridgeline,
    6x10 =11'7" ridgeline

The shorter the ridgeline, the wider the tarp will effectively be...

I've never hung under anything that small. Any wind blown rain would likely be a problem... (it doesn't rain where I live...) You'd probably have to hang really high to avoid splashes hitting your hammock. The tarp would have to be right on top of you and pulled in tight to keep dry...

In some thread I read before, somebody suggested using a poncho or existing rain gear as a tarp-enhancers... maybe velco, or tie-out loops could improve your coverage.

Give it a try at home and let us know how it works out!

If you've used a tyvek tarp, then you probably know the button trick for making a tieout for your folded corners...

John

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    on m tyvek tarp I folded a piec of gorilla tape over the edged where I wanted a tieout and snapped a grommet through the tape and the tyvek, so far it's held up to 30+ mph winds. And the 8ft is at the widest point of the kite so I cant hang that asym , once I cut it into a kite shape thats the only way to hang her. Probably gonna take it back to WM and buy a bag for a diy under quilt kit and save for a nice fly or build a maccat

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    weight is not an issue for me because I hike with a diy Dixon roller pack so a 45pound pack only puts 15 pounds on my body total I tore my rotator cuff and couldnt bear weight on it for a while then came up with the roller pack idea. it gets around so well that I dont think I will be lugging a back pack around ever again.

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    sorry for all the misspelling Im reeeealy tired. Off to be gents and ladys

• + New Posts