Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    A rayway quilt was my first sewing project-------its pretty worn out, but I still use it around the house all the time! Concerning Ray Jardine, he's brilliant, and has left his mark on the hiking world-----------but like alot of brilliant innovative people, he's eccentric, and doesnt play well with others! I've noticed that as a rule of thumb, the world doesnt like change, and tends to be pretty harsh on people who shake up/ challange the norm. That being said, some of Rays ideas are great (and I use them all the time) and some of his ideas are just plain crazy! HYOH!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK

Ray jardine, quilts and politics

I AM going to make one of Jardines quilts, I want to put a little extra warmth in the quilt, I am thinking something sewn into the batting maybe from my shoulders to just past my hips. I have a lot of trouble keeping my shoulders warm.

Does anyone have suggestions?

About Ray's ideas, I think they are typical of people doing what he did in the time period he did it in. I understand where he is coming from, I kind of circulated in and out of the same group, never really into climbing, my friend got tangled up in a hammock on the side of a cliff, he died there. Kind of put me off climbing, plus I was already having shoulder problems.

Each generation has their own ideas, pre baby boomers and early boomers, questioned everything, we made changes, I think we were the first generation to make massive changes, there were so many of us, it was like a tidal wave of change, many of us were very angry with our government. A very interesting time in American history.

Jardines ego is not fragile, that is for sure.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    i would have to say after finding this web site. The backpacking light website has tons of info on do it yourself quilts and tarps "myog" Just tons of good info about helping keep your weights down and other peoples projects

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    I have a quilt kit that I need time to put together. I would like it for this fall. I have made several of his knife kits. Kind of fun. And I have several of his books. I don't always think 100% his way but he does have some good ideas even if I don't want to use his implementation. He has caused me to rethink many things about my backpacking methods.

I know use Inov8 Terroc 330s for my backpacking footwear. I used to have OneSport Morraines (5.5 lb. per pair). The Inov8s are 330 grams. I would not walk in tennis shoes with parts of them cut out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123