Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

WTB: Fixed-Blade Batoning Knife

I have a semi-urgent need for a fixed blade batoning knife (Rat-4 or similar). I am going on a 5-7 day hike on Monday and I have nothing to make/split firewood with.

I can pay with Paypal, and need it shipped super fast. (I have already checked the local REI and they don't have anything big enough (they mostly just stock small pocket knives and folders.

** I found a knife locally (Army Surplus, thanks for the tip Grampa).
    Last edited by Rug; 05-10-2011 at 15:15. Reason: Found a knife.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Check your local Army surplus store - they are bound to have something!

BTW, have you batoned wood before? If you know what you're doing, you can baton with even a pocket knife. If you don't, you can destroy even a very large knife! Here's a couple of pages on batoning. I have no idea who the old geezer in the second one is.

http://www.barkriverknives.com/docs/batoning.pdf

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/780159/

Hammock
    90 Degree Gamma UL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I just ordered the new 2011 version of the Condor Bushlore from Knifeworks.com. Supposedly to be a solid, inexpensive knife - you could probably get a Mora from them as well.

They take paypal, and you can probably call in your order.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Not sure exactly what you're looking for quality wise, but a Gerber Big Rock Camp Knife might do OK for you especially for just the one trip. You can pick one up at a lot of places, including some Wal-Marts or order Amazon with overnight/2 day shipping. If you have a prime account, 2-day shipping is free and 1-day is a $3.99 upgrade. I do have one used I could ship you also but it'd probably get there no faster than Amazon anyway.

If you need something high quality ASAP then you might try Dale over at http://www.the-knife-connection.com/ and see if he can rush ship something to you. He has good prices and customer service (ordered my ESEE-4 and ESEE-6 from him) as well as free shipping, could probably get him to send something out overnight to you.

EDIT: Another option on the lower price scale is a Mora, again through amazon with 2-day shipping to guarantee it'll get there in time. I have the Mora Bushcraft Force and would recommend it. It's not the best knife specifically for batoning as it's a thinner blade but it will work and I've split some hefty wood with it.

-Jay
    Last edited by jloden; 05-10-2011 at 10:28.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Find yourself a Becker BK2 Campanion. They are readily available from many US based retailers and can usually be had for around $60 or so.

I have the knife and love it and don't think it can be beat in the value for dollar category and it is an absolute batoning machine.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Find yourself a Becker BK2 Campanion. They are readily available from many US based retailers and can usually be had for around $60 or so.

I have the knife and love it and don't think it can be beat in the value for dollar category and it is an absolute batoning machine.
    +1 on that suggestion also, BK2 and its larger cousins are pretty popular for batoning due to the super thick hefty blade, and are pretty readily available.

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 "The Mantis"
    Tarp
    Wal-Mart Special
    Insulation
    RAB Quantum 400E
    Suspension
    Whoopies 'n straps
    Ontario Knife Company makes EXCELLENT knives for batoning. I personally have the Afghan. These knives are made for extremely hard use, however they are not light by any means.

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I have a bk3 that is too much for me. This thing is a monster. I won't use it.

I used it once to try to baton. Other than that i never used it. Its a little funky looking without the point of other blades and it is a big heavy blade with a pretty fat heavy wedge that looks good for splitting or prying up floorboards or breaking out of a stuck car Or as an I beam for an office building...hehe

I would let it go for 55 since I used it once (plus shipping since you want it fats..your choice how) . I'll throw it in the car in case you want it today.

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-.../dp/B001IPILMA

cooldays

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by syc View Post
    I just ordered the new 2011 version of the Condor Bushlore from Knifeworks.com. Supposedly to be a solid, inexpensive knife - you could probably get a Mora from them as well.

They take paypal, and you can probably call in your order.
    I have this knife and it's a brute! What I don't especially care for is that the grind is NOT a Scandi grind. The edge is radiused, not flat ground/Scandi ground. I've been working (when I have the patience) with a flat file to take off the curve, but that's a LOT of metal to remove. Price is right, though, and it will take a very sharp edge regardless of grind.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    90 Degree Gamma UL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    You have the new 2011 version? The original version had a 1/4" thick blade and an unfortunate grind - the serious knifenuts were all regrinding the edge to make it easier to work with. But the latest that came out last month is 1/8" thick and supposedly a true scandi grind all the way to the handle.
    Sounded like a best buy for a utility grade camping knife for thirty something bucks shipped.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    I have this knife and it's a brute! What I don't especially care for is that the grind is NOT a Scandi grind. The edge is radiused, not flat ground/Scandi ground. I've been working (when I have the patience) with a flat file to take off the curve, but that's a LOT of metal to remove. Price is right, though, and it will take a very sharp edge regardless of grind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast