DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 so far
    Insulation
    30* bag as peapod
    Suspension
    Soon to be whoopie
    Images

Poke holes in my setup for this weekend.

I have 2 HH Explorers (2 for one deal a few years back ) and have used the Hennessey on a few outings thus far. I like it for the most part (especially once I moved up on the tarp), but I have been bit by the DIY bug.

A few years ago I made a gathered end (modified W whipping) out of some ripstop (not sure what weight) that I use primarily as my backyard lounger. I always seem to feel much more comfortable in it then my HH though, so with a 2 night trip planned this weekend I started contemplating. And the thing weights next to nothing, even with the climbing rope I use as suspension (7/64 whoopies are in my near future).

I do not have an underquilt, so my worries began with what to pack for this trip to bring in my HH with me. Wally world, TR, or I even have just used my POE non insulated down to the 50's. But even though these have worked, I wasn't thrilled about my setup.

So, I was looking at my Slumberjack 30* (also known as a 40 degree) bag and it has a nice footbox vent that runs vertically between your feet with two zippers. I cut a hole in the mesh and ran my homemade hammock through it and strung it up. Instantly it was a great fit and I could lay diagonal and got very comfy quickly and quite warm in my basement.

Threw a few quick mods on it. Put some bungee through the two zippers in the footbox then lashed them to my gathered end knot to keep tension on them to keep the footbox closed and the heat in.

Next I took some mason line, made a fixed loop on one end and pinched the top of my hood in a larks head (I think that is the name) and secured it up to my gathered end knot on the head end.

Got in and zipped it closed. Then reached outside the hammock (inside the bag) and felt around under and behind me to check for gaps. All was pretty close to the underside (1-2 inches or less) and the hood really sealed well up high too.

Suprisingly, the bag felt plenty long enough dispite being a regular length bag (I am only 5'8" which may help).

Only problem I can see is the gap between me and the top of the bag, especially on my right side/shoulder as I lay slightly on the diagonal. I can pull the bag around that side and tuck it a bit, but it is tough to keep it there.

Only thing left is a bug net, which my local outfitter is trying to get an ENO in before I leave Friday morning, which will be the deciding factor if this system goes with me or not. Not the best, but will do and I can sell if I want the WB later.

Going to Big South Fork and the lows are projected down to the low 50's at the lowest. Figure I have some room to spare and a hot water bottle as backup.

Any critiques on this one? It seems too easy to me.

Oh and I know (pictures or it didn't happen). Maybe I will snap a few photo's tonight if people can't get the concept I have here.

I think we have the same bag. I got mine on close-out at Sports authority years back, for 10 bucks!! Right around 2lb's but it stuffs down small, about the size of a football. This is my go-to sleeping bag if I am expecting lots of bad weather and don't want to bring down. it's a little warmer then my 40 degree rated big agnes bag, and also a little roomier.

I've been thinking about doing the same mod and using it with a GT Nano-7

This sleeping bag has a really nice design and I wish more companies would integrate the footbox-vent it has.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 so far
    Insulation
    30* bag as peapod
    Suspension
    Soon to be whoopie
    Images
    If my outfitter gets the bug net here in time, I think I am going to go with it. The Guardian will be a bit extra in weight, but the total for Hammock/net/suspension will still be less than the HH.

I may throw a small piece of CCF on my pack for CBS and campfire sitting, and I still have a water bottle as backup. Will probably shove some clothes up in the foot end to keep the heat in.

I will take pictures on the trail and report back if it works out. If it does, I may pick up another Slumberjack Superguide or the 20* (~$50), as mine is getting kind of ratty and patched with duct tape.

This really does look like it is going to be a nice setup and I am excited to try it out.

I will also be swapping out my suspension with Amsteel whoopies after my trip as I didn't have time to order it before. This should drop quite a bit more weight as my ropes are pretty heavy and I use biners to attach to my tree huggers.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Grand Trunk 10x10
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    When you have enough money, definitely get an underquilt! Underquilts are the best :P I've got one from HammockGear and it is amazing and easy to attach (thanks Stormcrow). But it also costs ~$200. Until then, your setup looks pretty good.
    "You can fight, fight without ever winning,
    But you can never, ever win without a fight"
    -Rush

• + New Posts