Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.0!
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Images

Few questions...

Hey guys, here`s the scoop.

Camping in the middle of last summer gave me the opportunity to try a friends DBL 1.7 BB. I used a thermarest prolite as insulation between the layers and a synthetic 0* bag within the hammock. I remember a few nights waking up with chills as the pad had either slipped or was simply not large enough to combat the wind and temperature. My feet were also cold as the only insulation at that end of the hammock was the sleeping bag within.

Nevertheless I loved the hammock and have a dbl 1.0 on the way!

So I`m looking at the KAQ New River as a solution to my insulation issue. For the price it seems amazing, it must be a synthetic of some sort? I`m also 6`5 so the `long` version is also appealing. I camp spring through to fall so nights might be approaching 0 but generally stay a few degrees above that.

Does the New River seem like a good idea for me? Would it enable me to ditch the pad and just use a sleep bag or tq?

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    I presume your degrees listed are in Celsius (otherwise DANG are you a warm sleeper! ). Anyways, I have had the same issues you described with a pad. When you are on it, things are nice and warm. If you move a little and fall off the pad, you wake up cold. I just had my first night with an UQ this past weekend. Wow is all I can say. I can't speak for the actual temperature efficiency of the New River, but you won't have those same pad issues with an UQ. There's a reason why everyone raves about them.
    Last edited by stefprez; 05-10-2011 at 15:39.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey there Hearn, welcome to the forum and hanging. The New River and all of the KAQ line are a synthetic, Climashield to be specific. It is the highest quality synthetic available on the market with the best compressibility to weight to warmth ratios available. Assuming you are refering to temp in Celsius then you should be good. We rate all the KAQ line to 30F/0C for the default 3 season option on the site. We also offer the entire line in a 1 season 45-50F rating by special order. With a New River long you would certainly be able to use it without a pad or if you should want to push lower add one for a little more temp range into the cold.

If you have any further questions at all let me know and I will be glad to help out.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.0!
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Images
    Thanks for the replies!

On my previous trip we dealt with rain nearly every night; what happens to the quilt if it gets wet from blowing rain/splashback under the tarp? Quick to dry out?

Other than that it seems like the NR is a good start for me while trying to determine if I like using an UQ!

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hearn View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

On my previous trip we dealt with rain nearly every night; what happens to the quilt if it gets wet from blowing rain/splashback under the tarp? Quick to dry out?

Other than that it seems like the NR is a good start for me while trying to determine if I like using an UQ!
    ====> Hi! Welcome to the forum, and the trees! I got the New River myself two weeks ago, and just used it for a three day hang in Mass. I am a cold sleeper, and was roasty in the New River. Anyone at the hang could tell you I always got up late, because I didn't want to leave the hammock! Too comfortable!

Paul from Arrowhead replied to you above - you can ask him anything. As far as wet, warmth, etc, climashield will not lose it's insulation properties when wet - down will. Splashback/up can be minimized by staking the tarp lower/differently, or you can pick-up a waterproof undercover for the UQ. I don't use one, but they are there.

SO, from my experience with both Arrowhead, and the New River, you can't lose!

Enjoy!
    Hang on!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    The New River is a warm under Quilt I had mine down to 25°F, below that I used a Walmart ccf pad. There is some fiddle factor with it but after one night it was adjusted for the comfort zone.

I got synthetic because if it gets wet it will dry easy enough.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

• + New Posts