WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Wonderland Trail

I have a trip planned to the Wonderland Trail in WA and need some advice. I've searched on the forum and have seen little information. I will be traveling with another couple who will be tenting. I (of course) want to hammock. From the information that I can find I think hammocking will be possible at most locations but some are iffy. Assuming I need to be prepared to go either way, here are my questions:

- I have an underquilt and a GG pad. Since I may need a pad, should I just leave the quilt at home and use the pad? I could take both, but I really want to minimize weight.
    - I have a MacCat deluxe tarp which I've used in rain, but not in blowing rain. Since this is WA, the chance of extended rain is always quite high. Since my quilts are down should I consider a rain protector (either sil or breathable) such as offered by ZQ2Q? Or should I just lower the tarp as low as possible, go into storm mode and hope for the best? This might be fine, I've just not had the opportunity to be in a multi-day blowing rain to find out and be comfortable with that decision.
    - If I do go to ground, should I just use the hammock as a bivy or pick up a light weight bivy to use instead? I'll have a ground cloth but the hammock is only nylon on the bottom and the bivy will be sil so I would have a better chance at staying dry if there is prolonged rain. I could bring my 2 lb tarptent but really don't want to haul that.

I'd appreciate any and all advice. Also, I have my itinerary set so if anyone has information on specific campsites that you are willing to pass along, please let me know.

Thanks.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    If you're smart about site selection, whether hanging or on the ground you shouldn't need the bivy or the weathershield.

I'd take the pad, as well as a piece of tyvek for a ground cloth as a ground sleeping option.

I prefer a neoair to a GG pad. They're so much thicker they allow for comfortable sleeping on bumpier ground as well as keep you a little more elevated in case of water pooling beneath the tarp.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    There are some youtube videos like this one, showing some of the camp areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzkrJgy6LFY

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by s2sailor View Post
    I have a trip planned to the Wonderland Trail in WA and need some advice. I've searched on the forum and have seen little information. I will be traveling with another couple who will be tenting. I (of course) want to hammock. From the information that I can find I think hammocking will be possible at most locations but some are iffy. Assuming I need to be prepared to go either way, here are my questions:

- I have an underquilt and a GG pad. Since I may need a pad, should I just leave the quilt at home and use the pad? I could take both, but I really want to minimize weight.
    - I have a MacCat deluxe tarp which I've used in rain, but not in blowing rain. Since this is WA, the chance of extended rain is always quite high. Since my quilts are down should I consider a rain protector (either sil or breathable) such as offered by ZQ2Q? Or should I just lower the tarp as low as possible, go into storm mode and hope for the best? This might be fine, I've just not had the opportunity to be in a multi-day blowing rain to find out and be comfortable with that decision.
    - If I do go to ground, should I just use the hammock as a bivy or pick up a light weight bivy to use instead? I'll have a ground cloth but the hammock is only nylon on the bottom and the bivy will be sil so I would have a better chance at staying dry if there is prolonged rain. I could bring my 2 lb tarptent but really don't want to haul that.

I'd appreciate any and all advice. Also, I have my itinerary set so if anyone has information on specific campsites that you are willing to pass along, please let me know.

Thanks.
    -Just take your UQ - No need for a cover either, just be cautious not to drop it.
    -The deluxe is a big enough tarp, hang it low and tight and you'll be fine, no need to over think it!
    -If you need to go to ground the conditions are probably pretty awful, so awful that you might want to hike out! If the other people you're with are all in tents, squeeze in with one of them!

You can always bring X and end up needing Y... or A... or B... or C... (and so on, and so on, and so on).
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    What time of year? I ask, because most of July, Aug, and Sept are pretty dry, with minimal chances of rain. One of the nice things about our rain is that it mostly comes in the other 9 months.

I would take your pad for ground sleeping, and pitch your tarp tight when you have trees on a rainy night. I bet you have less than 2 of those on a 9 day trip.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the feedback folks.

I'm leaning towards taking the GG pad and leaving the UQ at home. I have both a Big Agnes and Thermorest pad but I cannot make those work for me in the hammock. Regardless of how hard or light I inflate them they end up shifting out of position even in my two layer WBBB. The 1/4" GG pad works fine, though I would prefer either of the air mattresses for the ground option and I'd prefer the UQ for hammocking but since I need to be prepared for both, and don't want to carry extra weight, I think the GG pad will be ok.

I'm still undecided on the ground bivy vs using the hammock, but I'll probably pass on the weathershield. I need to think that one through a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    What time of year? I ask, because most of July, Aug, and Sept are pretty dry, with minimal chances of rain. One of the nice things about our rain is that it mostly comes in the other 9 months.

I would take your pad for ground sleeping, and pitch your tarp tight when you have trees on a rainy night. I bet you have less than 2 of those on a 9 day trip.
    Last week in July and first week in August. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we hit the good weather window.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    You won't have much trouble with rain starting at the beginning of august through the end of summer. Though this year has been the coldest spring in the last 80 years, and last year the wettest. Still that late in the year you will be fine, I've never slept in a tent while backpacking at that time of the year. Though over on the wonderland trail you should be prepared for snow any day of the year. I might bump into you out there depending on my next contract.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    I've never slept in a tent while backpacking at that time of the year.
    That is VERY encouraging to hear!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Dutch clip
    I am also going to the Wonderland trail this August. It will be my first long trip with a hammock. I am using hammock specifically because of weather concerns. I had the same concern about not having place to hang my hammock. I was very happy to see the above posts.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ichsu19 View Post
    I had the same concern about not having place to hang my hammock. I was very happy to see the above posts.
    When are you leaving? I return on 8/7 and will be happy to pass on what I learn assuming you haven't left yet.

I'm still not convinced that I can hammock everywhere especially since I will be with a couple that are tenting (I'd have less concern if I was solo) so I will likely take a lightweight bivy and GG pad in addition to my UQ and hammock. The weight penalty will be about 1 lb but will give me more options if we hit a period of rain and I have to go to ground at one of the campsites.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast