WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles

Understanding OQs

Living in Mississippi, I've never used an under quilt. Most of my hammock camping is in my Clark and in cold months I use the Z-liner. My interest now has got to do with a trip to Portland with my wife and daughter in July. I've bought a Speer and will buy another similar, single layer hammock before our trip. So, not only am I not familiar with UQs, I'm not familiar with hanging in 50-55 temps. We go straight from 30 to 70 overnight. Our spring and fall lasts 4-6 hours. (Ok, slight exaggeration)

The average lows in the area we will be hiking are 50-55 in July. Since I won't have a chance to hang in one of these hammocks in similar temps, can anyone help me with if I will need UQs? I thought about buying a few summer, full length down UQs and making a TQ out of fleece and ripstop. (I've already made one) I don't want to cook my girls at night and don't know how efficient under quilts are but I'm guessing that having a UQ is more important than a TQ if you had the choice of one. I may be wrong.

My wife is a hot sleeper and my daughter is average to cold. If it were me, I'd not be concerned but if this sucks for them, I'll never get them to go with me again. Ha!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Hi, you're going to need something for sure, maybe not an UQ but something. CCF, blow up pad etc will work just fine. Most people find that they need something on the bottom up to 70 degrees or so, me included. You are correct in thinking that the bottom insulation is more important than top insulation.The more you have on bottom, the less you need on top in my opinion. If I were you I would go with a summer UQ, a 2/3 UQ is always a good option. Hope this helps!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I don't see UQ as being for cold temps - they are for all temps, really. It's more about the comfort vs. the diminished comfort of a pad.

I've used both pads and UQ down into the 20F range comfortably, and up to 50-60F, (always the JRB Hudson River) with good results. Also used a Neoair and foam pads for the same range, no troubles there either. The pads are less comfy overall, but not less warm.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have used a synthetic bag rolled out in my Speer under me, with a blanket on top, and been quite comfy in moderate temps.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    I didn't mention pad but personally, I don't like them. If I had tried it with a double layer hammock, it may be different. I have several CCF pads and they are all uncomfortable and don't stay in place.

So to be clear, a UQ doesn't radiate heat as much as insulate the cold from you? Meaning if i were in a open hammock with a UQ rated at 40 in 43 temps, I'd be warm. If I had a three season or full blown winter UQ, I'd be just as warm (with A way over qualified UQ) or would I be hotter?

Thanks with the help guys!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just did a video on UQs......you find a wee bit of info in there.
    Like a sleeping bag....TQs and UQs capture the heat of your body and holds it.
    You can vent them by sliding them up towards your head creating a gap to cool down. Slide back when needed. This applies more to 1/2 UQs.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    If your nights wont be too cold I'd look into this:
    http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...amu/Detail.bok

Should "do the trick".
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

• + New Posts