Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images

Different UQ

ZMad2000's thread about a karo-like UQ got me thinking about longitudinal baffles that didn't run all the way to the ends. A different twist of what ZMad200 did. In this example there are 8 total chambers but you would only have to fill the top 4 and then move the down around. Are there reasons why this isn't done already? It would save a minor amount of weight but also less time measuring the exact amount of down needed per chamber. I like this idea but want some feedback as to the pros and cons. Kudos to ZMad200 for the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex 3lyr
    Suspension
    DIY Dyna whoops
    I love this idea.

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    pro:
    - shifted down stays in the 'chamber' you've moved it to
    con:
    - down can only be shifted sideways
    - shifting down the snake takes ages

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Syb - I think it would be very hard to move the down around. No real benefit over traditional baffle method.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Found another pro. It would be possible to center all down (from left to middle and from right to middle ...along the snake... + from top and bottom along the baffles) -- but I really wouldn't want to move the down along that labyrinth (I'm a lazy guy ). Besides, I cannot imagine a situation I would want the down to only be right in the middle of my quilt.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    What if instead of a snake you put the two gaps in each baffle but staggered. That way you could move the down around easier than snaking it around but it would stay where you wanted it to? Something like this.

diff%20uq%20baffle%20idea.jpg
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The major issue that everybody is bringing up is that the down will be hard to move around. Now from what i have read there has to be one "hard" part to making a quilt. With the standard baffles its weighing the down. With the karo its the sewing of those little baffles. With this method is going to be moving the down i suspect. A "Universal hard part" is stuffing the down. Well thats not too hard its just a pain.

In the end its all about preference. For the DIYer to decide which "con" they want to deal with.

Now time to figure out which baffle design i am going to use!!! Length wise is going to be the best since i wont need to cut a curve in the baffles.

Also if you want you could punch holes in the noseeum in order to make it easier to move the down around. I think EMS is doing that with their new sleeping bag. Here is a vid of the "new tech". Punching the holes should also make it a few grams lighter for you UL and SUL guys.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Ok i think this is going to be the pattern i am going to work with.

I am calling it the ZUQ!!!

Now Think of the possibilities!!! Dont just sign your quilt. Baffle you sig!!!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    how much would the down move each time the quilt is "stuffed and un-stuffed" in the sack? i guess my question is how would it affect the use of the quilt?

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I haven't personally worked with down (yet) - but I can think of a few things that are worth considering.

First, while longitudinal baffles seem to be used by some sleeping bags, I have to question their efficacy in an underquilt. With latitudinal baffles, the arc of the body/hang may cause the down to pool to the middle of the quilt a bit, but at least you will still have down from head to foot, giving you the full benefit of whatever the length of the quilt is. If one were to use longitudinal baffles, you wouldn't get much (if any) left to right shifting and pooling of the down, so the full width of your body would stay insulated. But the sag/arc of the hammock and quilt and body would ostensibly result in the down eventually shifting and pooling in the center - thus reducing the insulating ability of the head and foot end of the quilt. This may or may not be an issue in an overnight setting - I guess that would take some real world testing to figure out. But it's the first major flaw I see to that type of design.

Most quilts seem to use latitudinal baffles, perhaps for that reason. I think I read somewhere a while back that Te-Wa was using or experimenting with diagonal baffles, which I think makes much more sense than longitudinal. That way you get the benefits (if there are any) of longitudinal baffles when laying on a diagonal in your hammock, but you don't get as much of the negative pooling effects of gravity that seem inherent in true longitudinal baffles (as above).

Otherwise, I would have to agree with some of the above posters, that I'm not sure how much easier it would be to originally stuff that quilt, in the production stage. Sure, you'd have a lot less measuring of down at the beginning, making it more attractive to those who are, for example, re-purposing down as opposed to buying it in pre-measured amounts. But then I would think that any time saved is negated by the amount of time it would take you to try and distribute the down effectively through the labyrinthine chambers you have created. Think about how much of a pain it is to re-thread a drawstring on a stuff sack or pair of pants or something when you accidentally pull out the cord. Now consider that task but make the thing you're trying to thread through the channel have virtually no weight and very little substance or mass to speak of. Not impossible, but sounds like a chore to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast