Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have they made this type of canopy?

I am going to try to describe it. It would be like a floating A frame tent. Completely enclosed. Two holes at each end at the top to allow the hammock end ropes to pass through. A door on the side to get in. Staked out at four corners. Would create a completely enclosed environment?

earplug
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

I think the GrizzBeak pretty much accomplishes that, or any of the tarps with "doors" really... Not *exactly* what you've described, but probably the most suitable option for a hammock.... I'm not sure the weight and complexity are worth it to put a door in the side (I assume you mean the broad face of the tarp)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What? You mean like this?

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    JRB made what they called a "hammock hut" that was as you described, except for the side door. They cost a lot to make and it didn't turn out to be cost effective, and so they are not made anymore, I think.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Hut.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    You talking two man or four. Man I remember a lodge someone made, believe it was one of our northern (Canadian) members. Had a wood stove in the thing. The jacks come to mind also, but then again my memory stinks.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

That's it Cannibal!
    What is the name of that guy.

earplug
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images
    Forums user Smokehouse made an enclosed shelter with a Ti woodburning stove: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13588

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The JRB Hammock Hut (www.jacksrbetter.com) was the first one I saw. They had two models at one of the early Mt Rogers hangs. There are some pics of both near the bottom of this page:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesMtRogers.html

And several folks have put doors on the ends of their tarps to accomplish basically the same thing. A tarp with doors doesn't give the complete coverage to the ground the way the JRB Hammock Huts did, but it's pretty close. Tarp doors started with a few folks...Jardine made beaks on his ground tarps, TBACK put small doors on the ends of his tarps (more like an eave or overhang, really), and Ray Garlington made "tarp hoods" that basically do the same thing. Eventually these were extended to the ground with Grizz Beaks, providing full coverage that's attachable to the end of any tarp.

Then folks started sewing full doors directly to the hammock. 2Q/ZQ will add them to any tarp you send them. Now some vendors sell them that way.

And aside from all this, many folks just use a really big tarp and close the ends. It's not as tight of a pitch as dedicated doors but it's plenty stable enough and allows the user to keep the flexibility of a flat tarp.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post
    What is the name of that guy.
    That was the predecessor of today's Warbonnet SuperFly. That one is the prototype with only 2 sewn doors instead of today's 4 non-sewn doors. It isn't as flexible in its deployment options as the current models, but it is truly an enclosed tarp that's drum-tight when pitched.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    And several folks have put doors on the ends of their tarps to accomplish basically the same thing. A tarp with doors doesn't give the complete coverage to the ground the way the JRB Hammock Huts did, but it's pretty close. Tarp doors started with a few folks...Jardine made beaks on his ground tarps, TBACK put small doors on the ends of his tarps (more like an eave or overhang, really), and Ray Garlington made "tarp hoods" that basically do the same thing. Eventually these were extended to the ground with Grizz Beaks, providing full coverage that's attachable to the end of any tarp.

Then folks started sewing full doors directly to the hammock. 2Q/ZQ will add them to any tarp you send them. Now some vendors sell them that way.

And aside from all this, many folks just use a really big tarp and close the ends. It's not as tight of a pitch as dedicated doors but it's plenty stable enough and allows the user to keep the flexibility of a flat tarp.

actually, grizz beaks came "long after" full-size/seperate-piece sewn-on doors. full-size sewn-on doors came as result of me seeing the first swt, the grey version cannibal posted came right on the heels of the swt, the swt being it's inspiration. that superfly that cannibal took on the AT was the first tarp to my knowledge to sew on a full size door or provide full coverage on the end of the a-frame, although i give credit for the concept to dave. (did the jrb hut pre-date the swt? i was thinking the swt came first, and cannibal's superfly soon after) if i recall, all three products came out around the same time/season.

i had varying door combinations for awhile, and finally settled on 4 same-sized doors which is what the superfly has now. actually there is a 100 year pld patent showing someone using a large rectangular tarp over a hammock in "winter tarp mode" although, a rectangular tarp doesn't provide big enough doors for full coverage of the ends without a crazy steep pitch on the body (imo)

then alot later grizz posted pics of the grizz beak, that inspired me to design the current version of removable doors that uses a shockcord tensioned flap to cover the hinge area. since then both granite gear and hyperlight mountain gear have both started using the exact same concept for the design of their removable doors, although the granite gear "dodger" may have been discontinued.

i'd give the major credit for "doors in general" to dave. beaks are similar, but making them full size was a major jump (from a beak to the swt).
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 05-11-2011 at 16:08.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast