DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Double layer sewing

My double layer hammock has some issues, namely when I get in the two layers want to slide apart, causing it to lay funny. I sewed them together like I was making a bag, then flipped it inside out and sewed the last seam. So the only thread is right where they join together. Today I put another seam about an inch below on each side. I'm wondering about putting one right down the middle, which means giving up on putting a pad inside. Do you sew more than the edges on double layer hammocks? I'm thinking the extra seam may be all I need to get it to sit still, but I hate to put it all back together and then have to take it apart again. Considering just sewing a seam a 6 inches or so down the middle, that would still give me room for a pad.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Never done a DL, but am looking forward to making one... my Single 1.1 is a bit stretchy...

IMRisks's site (or was it JustJeff's?) Showed a DL where the only section opened was a 2' or 3' on either end, with the middle- seam sewed up...

... Found it... the Zhammock...

http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

From Risk's site:

Let us know how it works out! I for one want to duplicate your success...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    BJM, If your two panels were the same size, they should hang closely together. I stitched all of my dl, and left a small opening to wiggle the pad into.

If your panels of fabric became mis-aligned during assembly, they may need to be resewn to compensate for any variation in sag. Lay it out flat on the floor and inspect for any variations, both layers should be the same with no extra puckering when one layer is pulled tight. If not, adjust the larger piece, pin where needed and re-sew to compensate.
    I'm not a fan of stitching in the middle of the hammock body..creates a weak spot, in my opinion. Some have done it with success, tho. So, it can be done.

On my first dl, I made the pad opening too big. Sewed the opening smaller (just big enough to accomadate the pad, with a little wrestling) to join the two layers more securely.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wish I had a pic to show what's going on, it's kind of hard to explain. My two layers are different colors, the outside is camo and the inside green. When I hang it they are where they're supposed to be. But as soon as I get in the two layers slide so that about 1/4 of the camo is on the inside. When I'm in it it's comfortable and I have spent the night twice with no problems. But one side hangs higher than the other.

There was nothing to keep them from sliding like that, but as I mentioned I put a second row of stitching on the outside edges to see if that would help. Might see how it works today with just that before I do the inside. The two layers are the same size and there aren't any puckers in either (miracle!).

Images
    I actually have been experiencing this same problem. The two layers tend to "roll" when I get into the hammock, bringing the side seam in toward the middle of the hammock and messing up the lay of the hammock. Unfortunately, I haven't solved the problem, but just straighten it up whenever I get in. I'm also interested if anyone has a solution to this.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have always preferred the offset opening process. The two layers are sewn together except for 24"(or so) on opposite sides of opposite ends. eg: If the the opening on the head end is on the right the opening at the foot end would be on the left.

If you sew it like a bag and turn it inside out the you need to run a topstitch line around the edge to stabilize it. When you do that you need to hem the opening edges individually. Do _not_ sew up the openings in your exuberance.

Alternately you can hem each layer individually and topstitch them together then the openings are already hemmed and finished. But again... avoid sewing the openings shut.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, the second line of stitching did help with preventing the fabric from rolling, but I discovered another problem. It appears one side is shorter than the other. This side stretches tighter than the other so my hammock leans to the looser side. I can still get it to lay OK but there's a bunch of fabric hanging above me on the tight side. I think the problem may be in the way I lashed it together on the ends. Frustrating!

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Just wondering, what is the purpose of a double layer hammock? It's basicly just two layers of fabric, right? Any advantage over a sinlge layer?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Just wondering, what is the purpose of a double layer hammock? It's basicly just two layers of fabric, right? Any advantage over a sinlge layer?
    It can prevent mosquitoes from biting through as they can on a single layer. It can hold a pad in place between the layers without the issues that a single layer would have. It can also support more weight (two layers of 1.1 support more weight than one layer of 1.7). It also affords a few degrees more warmth than a single layer.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    Well, the second line of stitching did help with preventing the fabric from rolling, but I discovered another problem. It appears one side is shorter than the other. This side stretches tighter than the other so my hammock leans to the looser side. I can still get it to lay OK but there's a bunch of fabric hanging above me on the tight side. I think the problem may be in the way I lashed it together on the ends. Frustrating!
    I sewed channels on the ends of my double layer and only stitched "the middle third" on each side. That lets me run my Amsteel through the channels so that whipping is not needed. Having 2/3 of each side unhemmed also lets the corners of a wider pad out to prevent bunching when a pad is used. I've not experienced and slipping of the layers with the design I mentioned. The top layer is WallyWorld mystery bin and the bottom is Pertex.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast