Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Moving to Mobile AL

So I will most likely be moving due to my job this summer to Mobile AL.

Any great suggestions on hiking and hangs in the area?

I have only had the chance so far to visit for 2 days and got a decent feel for the area, but looking for feedback!

Images
    you have several choices..toward the middle of the state is the trail that connects to the AT..a national forrest or 2..i have held a hammock gathering in red level maybe 2 hrs from mobile..when you get here and get settled look in a book store for a alabama gazzet..you will know when you find it it will be full of topo maps ..(it is usually bright red in the map section of the bookstore..some walmarts carry them) look in the front of the book and it will list every state park..rec.. fishing nature walks and trails ect...it is a good place to start best of luck and welcome to Lower alabama ( or L.A. as we call it )

Also, some good areas over in MS and the panhandle of Fla which is less than an hour away.

There's really not a lot in Mobile, but there are places near by. Unfortunately most of them are going to cost you money. A decent place that is not too awful far is Claude D Kelly State Park. I haven't done a lot of hiking there but I would imagine it would be pretty good for you. I've never had a problem hanging there either. Last time I was there it was free unless you are going to use a camp site. Another place is Blakely across the bay but I believe you have to pay just to get in, and camp site fees were pretty high last time I was there, and I don't believe they allow offsite camping. If I think of more I'll add it here. I've lived here all my life so let me know if you need anything.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    And get longer tree straps, there are some monster sized oaks down that way.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    That's a good point.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images
    The Black Creek Wilderness trail is near Hattiesburg MS, which if I can count on my memory of US98 isn't too far from Mobile. I hiked that trail in 2003 or so and it was a good walk.

The trail was ruined by Katrina in 2005 but I have heard that parts of the trail (particularly those in the wilderness area) are open again. There's a fairly recent trip report at the bottom of this page: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arch...hp/t-7641.html

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Std
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    There is some really good places to hike and camp around Pensacola. I wish I knew about hammocks when I lived there.

Hammock
    1.1 Dbl WBBB/Traveler
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Yea, I found out the hard way that some of my cord for my bugnet isnt long enough haha.

Hammock
    ENO 1xSN & 3xDN
    Tarp
    Dryfly, Noah's 9
    Insulation
    2x AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    ALL in one WS.
    Images
    I haven't been out for a hang yet, but have tons of experience camping in various fashions. Canoe, Kayak, Backpacking, Mtn bike, Scouts, etc.

There is Chickasaboge park. There are standard campsites, River camp sites (you have to paddle to them) there is miles of mountain biking trails. I need to call and ask if primitive trail camping is allowed. 10min away

There is the Tuxachanie trail in MS, just south of Wiggins, MS. It is about 15 miles of clear trail in pineforest. It is a nice place to backpack. You can camp at the established sites (free) or camp anywhere 100' from the trail. 1.5 hrs away

There is the Blackwater river in North Florida, Canoe/Kayak camping. Hanging is the easiest way to camp. There are a few bars to put a tent, but they can be taken and leave you "hanging"

There is actually a ton of places to hang while paddling in the panhandle of FL. You can "hang" anywhere below the high water line. Then there are parks that are free of charge along the banks as well. 2- 3 hrs away

There is the Escataupa river for paddling, you can camp anywhere below the high water line. This makes a hammock the best way to camp here. 45 min away

Blakeley state park is indeed pricey and they tend to be really up tight about camping outside of the designated "camping spots". I do know a ranger there personally so I may be able to be of help if you choose to go here. It is a park not to leave off your list as the history is amazing. 30 min away

Camp Pushmataha in Citronelle is an old Boy Scout camp that was sold to the city of Citronelle, AL. As a Scouter this is a sore subject, but it only benefits the regular camper as you can camp there. Not a large location and has been select cut last year, so hanging may require LONG straps... 30 min away.

Dauphin Island, you can camp really close to the beach and get that awesome sea breeze at night to keep the bugs off. 45 min away.

Gulf Shores state park, you can rent a cabin and hang over the water of Lake Shelby, or on the small island if you are paddling.

As far as having long tree straps for the huge oaks....there are plenty of long needle pines for hanging, just make sure you look up when they are doing a controlled burn before hand....

I can go on but you probably will not read such a long post....

There will be a hang here before long. Just have to get those Whoopie slings installed and I will be ready....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast