Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

Total Newbie

I normally use a Contrail Tarptent. I really like the weight. If I was to convert to using a hammock, would I be carrying more weight again...hammock, bug net, tarp and straps, etc.

Also, I understand that you are supposed to sleep diagonal in a hammock, so that you can lie flat. Should I be getting a single or double. I am looking at these http://www.greenmountainhammocks.com...eral&Itemid=91

Thanks for all the help.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF. I'm not familiar with Green Mountain Hammocks. I would check around HF before you purchase anything. It's very possible that you can find the lightweight setup you would like.

Check the reviews on the hammocks folks use most often around here, feel free to ask any questions you have. We have many cottage manufacturers represented here who use lighter weight fabrics than the hammock you are currently considering. Folks are extremely helpful here and are more than willing to discuss all and any aspects of hammocking with you.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the HF. A great place to be to get all the info you're looking for.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Hey there Girotogo! Welcome to HF. To give you an idea of my "shelter," my hammock with bugnet, two stakes, and straps (Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 Double Layer) weighs 27.1 ounces, and my tarp setup, including all guylines and stakes, weighs 17.1 ounces. That puts my entire shelter at ~2.75 lbs. To me, that's lightweight, and for the amount of comfort I'm in, it's ultralight! There are ways to cut weight like CRAZY with hammocks. There are a few gram weenie's on this site, and their setups can be ridiculously light.

In regards to the hammock to purchase, it depends on your height and weight. If I had to pick between those two, I myself would get a single, but I'm a small guy. (5' 9" 140 lbs.) If there is more of you to love, then a double is probably the way to go. There are plenty of other good hammocks to start with, though, that are cheaper. I used a Byer Moskito Traveler Hammock for over a year with great success. It weighs 1 pound and has a bugnet, and only cost me $40 at REI. Also, if you are interested in a DIY project, there are ways to make a gathered end hammock on the cheap without having to sew a stitch. You will soon discover how much altering and customization goes on in the hammock community, and how you can create the perfect setup for you with some time and research. For now, as a beginner, I recommend a good starter hammock to make sure it's something you like. Best of luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I have a 10.5lbs base weight for spring/fall and under 9lbs for summer.

If you want pm me and I'll go in detail on how I acheived that weight. GLP and SGT Rock members here also have light pack weights as well.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I also welcome you to this site! I hung around here a while just reading everything and looking at the pics and vids. I suggest you take at least 2-3 weeks to go thru all the various threads and read the reviews. There is so much info here that it is highly unlikely that you will make a bad purchase after doing the research. You propbably have a pretty good ide when, where, how, and with whom you will be camping. You know if you like a pillow or not, or are a warm or cold sleeper. You know what degree of facility you have with knots and rope work. You know if you can sew or not[I can't].

Knowing all of your own desires and predilections, you should be able to match the right gear to your camping. Personally, I enjoy researching my gear almost as much as I enjoy using it! I hope you will, too.

Also, just because you don't have as much experience as some here [not me, I'm pretty much a noob] might have with hammocks doesn't mean that your ideas will be ignored, ridiculed, deemed less than worthy. It seems everyone on this board is trying to add to the common knowledge base and that makes this a very good site.

So...start reading, investigating, asking, and thinking, suggesting and have FUN.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Looks like a hammock setup weight is not bad at all. The hammock was only $36 at Costco, so I picked it up. The double is $47. Cheap enough for me to try and if I don't like to sleep in it, I can return it. I'm 5' 10" around 210 lbs. so maybe I should get a double. What do you guys think?

This might be a dumb question, but I've read you need to sleep diagonal...how do you do that in a hammock. Anyone have a picture or something?

Has anyone gone out and didn't find 2 trees to hang? Most people I talk to carry tents/tarps. Not many talk about hammocks. But I really like the idea that I don't have find clear, level ground and just find 2 trees.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Here's a little video that may help visualize sleeping on the diagonal.

I've never run into the issue of not having trees, but I don't have too many outings under my belt. There are ways to "go to ground" with a hammock in the event that you find yourself above tree line and only have a hammock, or something of the like. You should consider where you do most of your hiking. If I lived in the desert southwest and spent all my time hiking in Zion or something, I probably wouldn't bring a hammock. But when you are in the woods, there is enough flexibility in the suspension systems to allow you to hang, pretty much no matter what.

To comment on the single vs. double again, I'd say the biggest draw of getting the double is it's width. More to wrap up around you and keep you in the hammock. The single is on the narrow side. Especially since you can return it, I'd say get the double, and try it out to see if it's your thing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    See Below...

In this video I also show how to lay diagonal... better shots when I talk about the Warbonnet Traveler
    Last edited by Raul Perez; 05-13-2011 at 18:06. Reason: Finally figured out how to embed the youtube video

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

Youtube Channel:

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast