DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 so far
    Insulation
    30* bag as peapod
    Suspension
    Soon to be whoopie
    Images
    Thanks Knotty for posting my pic that I referenced (hangs head in lazy shame).

I still use this system, and will use it on my DIY hammock this weekend.

Makes set up so quick and easy and adjustments are a snap. Plus, once you get your hammock set up the way you want it, you can just unclip it if you need to thread anything through like pea pods or bugnets. You don't have to thread them through before you attach to the trees.

I will go to whoopies soon, but this system is so easy with just a minimal weight penalty.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    How well does this hold? Better than the rings system?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    stock Hennessey
    Thanks everybody, wish I had time for two nights! I promise I will slow down enough to take pics.

atison, looks like a great solution, I'd love to try it.

eflat, you have impeccable taste in motorcycles!

mule, haven't slept 13 hrs in 10 years!

Kathleen (NOT KATIE!) spent a good hour on your website, lots of great stuff, thanks for sharing it. I spent two seasons as a wedding photographer, it'll suck the creativity right out of you! Your shots made me want to pick up my trusty Canon again.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 so far
    Insulation
    30* bag as peapod
    Suspension
    Soon to be whoopie
    Images
    Never tried the ring system so not sure how they compare. As far as holding up, no worries in the dozens of times I have set up in the backyard and handful of times in the woods (don't get out as much as I would like).

Daveinoh - After this weekend, shoot me a message and your more than welcome to stop by and borrow a set (I have 2) to see how you like them. If you like them, I will point you where to get the rope/biners and can show you how I tied the continuous loop on the prussiks.

Again, I will be going to whoopies as it is a lighter system, but this system is as easy as it gets.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Riding my KLR to Southeast OH tomorrow for an overnighter
    Great plan! Exactly why I bought an HH. To take on my KLR. Actually haven't had my first overnighter yet. Good luck with yours. Pics please, and don't be afraid to include your "mule" in the pic.

Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    stock Hennessey
    Ok guys and gals, as promised, a few pics. It was a great trip aside from dodging thunderstorms for 100 or so miles. Made it unscathed and was treated with local access to some of the most enjoyable riding I can remember! I am going to post all of the pics together, I think most of them can speak for themselves, especially to anyone with a love of two wheeled machines.

At the end I'll describe a little of what I experienced on my first night in my HH.

The Pics:

As you can see. great weather aside from a few storms, especially the toad strangler I rode through on the way home! Great time meeting up with fellow riding forum members and a great all around weekend.

My first experience was a success. I took my time and had a little trouble setting up, but fully expect it to get easier each time. I'm sure some trained eyes will see a few mistakes, but everything worked as needed. I am definitely interested in finding a simpler means of attachment than the Hennessey figure 8 knot. It worked but was a real pain when I needed to readjust!

I also found that I didn't care for the sleeping bag I was using, just kept getting tangled up in it. I actually think two separate blankets or quilts would have been better. I didn't need the underpad, it was a pretty hot night, so I didn't try that out. I was reasonably comfortable immediately, though it is definitely different from what I am used to. I remember laying there about 10:30 reading a book thinking "hey this is pretty comfy especially considering how hot and muggy it is tonight", then I woke up at 9AM!

The hammock and all related gear proved itself completely perfect for bike camping, everything fit and repacked perfectly. I can't wait to go again! I highly recommend Iron Ridge Campground in the Lake Vesuvious recreation area if you find yourself in Southeast Ohio. Lots of sites, all with suitable trees, private lots including a large primitive area that would be great for a group hang.

Hammock
    WBBB dbl. 1.7
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    High BMI
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    That looks like a great trip. I too found hammocks as a way to camp with my trusty 07 klr. Your pics make me want to get out and give it a try. I've got the hammock stuff, just haven't been out on the bike yet.

Thanks for the pics, $2.79 gas!

Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    stock Hennessey
    Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    Thanks for the pics, $2.79 gas!
    Lol, I wish! That station has been closed down for a while, I just needed to find cover for a bit.

Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    stock Hennessey
    Been working on learning several knots, gonna try Atison's Prusik/biner setup as soon as I pick up some rope. My youngest is fascinated with knots and is a quick study. Maybe he can help me remember how to tie them when the time comes!

Last edited by daveinoh; 07-25-2011 at 16:23.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast