Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar

DIY Hennessy question

SO I looked at the tutorial in the stickies section up top, and im kinda confused.

So I ask, if you just took 2 10ft pieces of ripstop, sewed them together into a 2 layer, then cut the slit in the bottom layer, would that work alright? then just whip the ends like normal?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    SO I looked at the tutorial in the stickies section up top, and im kinda confused.

So I ask, if you just took 2 10ft pieces of ripstop, sewed them together into a 2 layer, then cut the slit in the bottom layer, would that work alright? then just whip the ends like normal?
    You wouldn't be able to see out of it (ripstop on top?), and w/o a ridgeline the top would droop all over you, and it wouldn't be asymmetrical...

but yes, you could certainly do it.

If you're wanting to simplify your hammock design - check out the other sticky thread up top, by Knotty. That one is more like to what you're describing, but w/o the slit in the bottom. Easy breezy.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64

Read the DIY WBBB tutorial. You sew both short sides, one long side, and on the remaining side, you sew all but a couple feet or three to slide a mat in. No cutting please !

Then take the Hennessey approach with the pull outs, or the WBBB with the added strip, shelf, etc.

I like the strip of the WBBB, as it is easier to sew the no-see-um to.

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    You wouldn't be able to see out of it (ripstop on top?), and w/o a ridgeline the top would droop all over you, and it wouldn't be asymmetrical...

but yes, you could certainly do it.

If you're wanting to simplify your hammock design - check out the other sticky thread up top, by Knotty. That one is more like to what you're describing, but w/o the slit in the bottom. Easy breezy.
    A;ready have a eno Double nest, and a whipped end single layer I made. I dont mind not seeing outside. For the ridgeline, I could sew on a couple grosgrain loops to the top, and run through there.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    A;ready have a eno Double nest, and a whipped end single layer I made. I dont mind not seeing outside. For the ridgeline, I could sew on a couple grosgrain loops to the top, and run through there.
    Then give it a whirl. I'd recommend putting four tie-outs, rather than two, like the Hennessy - that way you can use however many you want, wherever you want, depending on the comfort zone. The tie-outs will also help keep the top layer out of your face, along with the ridgeline.

Bottom entry on DIY does nerve me up a bit, if not reinforced properly, it's a clear tear point.

The plus side of using two layers like you're describing is that you can lay on top of the thing (make your ridgeline removable) if you don't want anything over you on hot, bug-free nights. The design of the Hennessy doesn't work well with doing that.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Bottom entry on DIY does nerve me up a bit, if not reinforced properly, it's a clear tear point.
    I've played with this a little bit. It is, as you say, a potential tear point but I was surprised at how little reinforcement it took. I'm not a tiny guy either. All the stress seemed to be in line with the slit so the lateral tears simply did not occur. YMMV.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts