I've studied, spent, and become fascinated with the old craft and art of rope-splicing, stimulated by posts on this forum.

So, I'm almost disappointed to note that Clark hit on something with their very thick polyprope rope. What do I mean?

First, it is crazy how even Clark gets away with the simplest of knots through the gathered hem, as the stiffness of the three-strand rope keeps the knot intact. Then, the small drip ring turns out to make tying the rope returning from the tree similarly fast, because the knot seems to be so uncritical.

Adjustments? Sure, you must untie to make them, but that, too is crazy easy with this rope.

Other downside? Well, there's potential tree damage if no straps are used. But,the density of the rope is low and so the weight is not very great.

How about bulk? Well, I disappointed that the total bulk of the stock rope is not so much greater than the collected parts of straps and whoopie slings and carabiners or soft-shackles. Greater, yes, but the Clark NX series hammocks are already so bulky, the difference in that context is, frankly, smaller than I expected when I just collected all the stock rope.

Now, I'd like a hammock kit, for bicycle touring, that is less than 1/3rd the size of the Clark NX-250. But the point of this post is to give credit to Clark for having found that this cheap, bulky but lightweight 3-strand 1700 lb rated polyprope rope offers a lot in ridiculous simplicity and easy of tying and untying a single uncritical knot when used with their small drip rings.