Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig2112 View Post

Thanks for all the great feedback (I knew this was the right place to turn for advice). Sounds like the consensus is I'll be fine using my Burrow. I'll pull it out of th closet to do a fit test and see about adding the shock cord.
    I think you will be more than warm enough for the 20s with the Burrow, IF you can avoid drafts, particularly as you move in your sleep, and when you are on your side. That is the entire ball game IMHO.

I think it is easier to avoid drafts with even more narrow quilts in a hammock than on the ground. Because most hammocks wrap around your sides more or less, making it easier to keep a quilt tucked. I think the only way you will know is to practice and try it out. The 3 season Burrow has 3.5" loft, which I suppose is top layer only? If that is indeed top layer only, this quilt is way under rated at 20F. But even a small draft will ruin the warmth.

BillyBob- Yes it is top layer measurement!

Craig- I have slept on the hard surface many times with my quilt, but, even if I were to side sleep or move around the width of my shoulders isn't much to cause a problem! Best thing to do is if you are a side sleeper or turn in the night set-up in your house and have some one look around your side and see if there are any gaps! If there are any, one option you have is to take your UQ (if you have one) and lay on top of the UQ and wrap the TQ around you and the UQ, this way the UQ acts like a draft stopper tube and helps to keep in the warmth! I took the shock cord from the UQ and tied a slip knot so it would keep the sides of the UQ from falling or slipping down and causing a draft!

Just another option!?!?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    one option you have is to take your UQ (if you have one) and lay on top of the UQ and wrap the TQ around you and the UQ, this way the UQ acts like a draft stopper tube and helps to keep in the warmth! I took the shock cord from the UQ and tied a slip knot so it would keep the sides of the UQ from falling or slipping down and causing a draft!
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a Crow's nest UQ but I think the combined weight and complexity may negate the benefits of using a TQ over a bag. If I can manage a good seal with the TQ/pad I think is rather put any additional weight into a higher R-Value pad. Plan on doing a test this weekend.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images
    I am a side sleeper who moves around a lot, so I sewed a 10" strip of silk around the perimeter of my quilt. Drafts are now a thing of the past. Ray Jardine's idea.
    " . . . there's no easy trail to Cache Lake, for it is protected by distance, mile after forgotten mile of woods and water, and it is still clean and clear and safe from civilization." John J Rowlands from Cache Lake Country

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I slept in a tent in colorado, on a pad, with a sleeping bag unzipped to mimic a top quilt. It got down into the high 20s and I stayed warm. so yes, it can be done just fine.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by tpkanu View Post
    I am a side sleeper who moves around a lot, so I sewed a 10" strip of silk around the perimeter of my quilt. Drafts are now a thing of the past. Ray Jardine's idea.
    That's a really good idea. Would even help some in the hammock, too.

I did a test last night with the Burrow and my 20" pad. The Burrow does not have any loops to run some shock cord through like I thought it did. I'm not a sewer but I might be able to have a family member add some loops into the edge if I decide to go that route.

On my back my arms tended to slide down my sides and off the pad pushing the TQ out to the sides. At 20° this could be a problem, at 50° not so much. Don't think I'd last long on my back anyway.

On my side I was able to tuck the edge under my backside, wrap it around my back and pull it close in the front. Moving or switching sides required redoing the tuck. Could become frustrating at 3am.

So, currently I'm looking at sewing loops and running shock cord around the bottom o the pad, sewing cloth around the edge to make tucking the TQ around my body easier, or bringing a bag. Right now cautiously leaning towards the bag.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    For me, I'd bring my quilt even if sleeping on the ground. BUT - I have no problem sleeping on my back "coffin style" or on my side, and I don't toss and turn at night. Plenty of folks use quilts on the ground so it's possible, but the important question is whether it works for you specifically.

My $0.02 is that if you're concerned about it, just take the sleeping bag - unless you can try a reasonable cold temp test with the quilt on the ground before you leave. You're playing "I think it should work" with temperatures plenty cold enough for hypothermia to be an issue, or at the very least to spend a really uncomfortable night.

Either way good luck and have a great trip!

-Jay

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    I cowboy camped (no tent) at about 11,000 ft. just before Pinchot Pass last June. It was below freezing that night. My shoes were frozen solid in the morning, but I was warm under my quilt, on top of my neoair pad.

You'll be fine as long as you know how to use it, and it's adequate to the ambient temperature at night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I use a JRB 3 season all the time in the Sierra - works great with the NeoAir, on the ground or in hammock. I suspect you will be fine - as long as you don't forget your hat! Take your base layer and don't be afraid to layer up in jacket and extra pair socks if the temps dip and you find yourself less comfortable, that's what the layers are for, and I've seen higher elevation night temps dip as much as 20-30 degrees lower than what's in the forecast before.... it's not unusual to get some snow in summertime, at elevation.

Don't forget to stay hydrated and eat well - have a snack before bed if you ate dinner a few hours before. Keep the furnace stoked.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'll have to double-check but I believe the Burrow has a couple of loops that I can run some shock cord through and wrap around a pad.
    Just checked mine and no loops.

I'm going to Sequoia Kings Canyon in September wiith 3 friends. The average temp at night is supposed to be in the mid 40s but can, on occasion, get down to the low 20s. Unfortunately I'll be leaving the hammock home on this trip (Blasphemy! I know) and sharing a 2p tent with one of my buddies.
    Sequoia Kings will be so very tree rich and hanging spots will be speaking to you so loud...well, you are going to regret this blasphemy (heritic ). I'd work on my buddies to get them off the ground...even to the point of saying "sorry, I'm in the trees" if they refused. That said personal choice for going to ground would be a mummy bag because I would have to flop like a fish to spread out the agony and a mummy is the only bag that would travel with me. If I am going to wake up crippled, the least thing to expect would be to wake up warm.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 05-20-2011 at 14:16.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast