Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    I had woll socks. But even with that, I really think that my feet were elevated and not getting enough circulation. I'm normally a warm sleeper. If you'll notice I have another thread about sag, so I'll be the first to say I don't have much of a clue and I believe that I still don't have enough sag to get a flat position.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i slept in my v2 synthetic insulated hammock in the back yard last night using a new homemade wearable quilt. i`ll try to get some photos of the quilt & post them this afternoon.
    more about the quilt later.
    the hammock is the one ewker posted photos of from the mt rogers trip.
    according to the brunton ADC wind, it got down to 14.1 for a couple hours in the early morn.
    i slept warm w/ the exception of feeling a slight coolness a time or two during the wee morning hours.
    no wind... maybe just a slight bit of air movement.
    i wore the same clothes i would normally wear on a cold weather backpacking trip. i consider my clothing part of my sleep system.
    short sleeve wicking shirt
    long sleeve wicking shirt w/ zip neck
    synthetic insulated jacket
    fleece balaclava (or whatever<g>)
    wicking bottoms
    fleece lined nylon pants
    mid weight thorlo socks

the fleece lined pants are really warm, but also heavy & bulky. i hope to be replacing them very soon w/ montbel`s UL thermawraps.
    i forgot... between the long sleeve wicking shirt w/ zip neck & the synthetic insulated jacket, i was wearing a golite wind shirt.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top &amp; Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    One of the things that I was thinking about last night was a double layer hammock. For those with any experience with these, is the pad set at the angle / diagonal that you are sleeping? Does it shift any?

I was thinking of a double layer hammock with pockets to allow for a pad to be held in a diagonal position and inserts on the sides of it like a segemented Pad Extender except built in. Again, these would also be held in a diagonal position. Does this sound feasable or would the stiching in the body of the hammock cause undo weak spots?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    One problem I'm running into with my homemade hammock stand on my porch is it only allows me to hang with only 10 feet of room. I think that may be contributing to my cold butt issues.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 12-09-2006 at 23:11.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I only used my double layer a few times, but it had no problem holding the pad at whatever angle I put it in. I'd be careful putting seams in the body, but it can be done...use zigzag stitches and try to minimize the seams near your butt. Speaking of minimizing the seams...a normal double layer hammock with some other way of keeping the wings in place might be better just b/c of the seams. A SPE or even just duct taping the wings onto the pad, inside the two layers, maybe.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top &amp; Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    So in a double layer system, which layer takes the most stress, top or bottom? If pockets were made with the stiching in the panel with less stress it should work.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

double layer

I have made a zhammock (58x118 inches before tying off), because of the feeling of being velcroed down when sleeping directly on a ccf pad. I am a restless sleeper and need to roll around a lot.

I have inserted my pad diagonally.It does work as advertized. Of course, you are still sleeping in a "canyon" and tend to roll downhill so "flopping" takes more effort than in a flat bed.

At first, I inserted my pad diagonally. This led to cold spots as I flopped around during the night, since I would flop off the pad.

The last few nights, I added a short (36" piece of 20" wide pad oriented across the hammock, it starts at my shoulders and runs to my hips. This has really warmed things up.

Before, at around 40 degrees, the single pad would begin to feel a bit cool. I would have to use my bag as a bag, rather than a quilt.With two thickness at my center, this doesn't happpen

The idea for the double mat came from Sgt. Rock's writeup. It is his equivalent to an SPE. Unlike Sgt. Rock's mine isn't connected in any way. The Zhammock design seems to hold it in place.

HTH
    Tom

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'm still looking at getting a couple of 1/4 inch wide/long pads from Gossamer.
    I am thinking of sewing (someone else) a ripstop enclosure around these pads. Much like a SPE. Would not only keep the pads together but help it slide under me to get in position.
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...thinlight.html
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chezrad View Post
    So in a double layer system, which layer takes the most stress, top or bottom? If pockets were made with the stiching in the panel with less stress it should work.
    Good question - I'm not sure the weight on each is very different b/c they both stretch a bit and support each other. I'd say if you made it from 1.9 oz it would definitely work, and from 1.1 oz it would most likely work w/o any problems.

Sewing sleeves to the top layer, where you can slide the wings in from inside the hammock, would eliminate any air gaps and such...if you sew it to the bottom layer, the stiffness of the pad may cause a gap between the layers. I had a small gap like this on my double-layer down hammock, anyway...maybe it was just something I did on that particular hammock.

Anyway, putting it on the top also means you could slide socks or gloves into the wings to add some extra insulation and to keep track of them at night.

If I were putting them on the bottom layer, I'd put it between the fabric. Would be harder to put the pads in, but would minimize air gaps from the pad buckling. Maybe you could leave the wing pads in at night...sliding the big pad in shouldn't be much hassle.

Just thinking out loud...I'm sure there are many ways to make this work. Good luck on it!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chezrad View Post
    One of the things that I was thinking about last night was a double layer hammock. For those with any experience with these, is the pad set at the angle / diagonal that you are sleeping? Does it shift any?

I was thinking of a double layer hammock with pockets to allow for a pad to be held in a diagonal position and inserts on the sides of it like a segemented Pad Extender except built in. Again, these would also be held in a diagonal position. Does this sound feasable or would the stiching in the body of the hammock cause undo weak spots?
    I have a Claytor hammock and the double bottom is one of the aspects I like most about it. I've only used it with an older Theramarest which is very slippery. It stays in place very well. I stayed warm at 32 degrees in a 20 degree sleeping bag....including feet.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast