Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Trail Days Report

Who saw new hammock stuff at Trail Days this year?

I was looking forward to seeing the HH Typhoon tarp, but Tom never set it up. I saw and held a bundled up one, but never saw it deployed.

The Jacks had their new camo hex tarp on display. Personally, I think they miss neo posting and are trying to charm him back onto the forums. It is like a nicer version of the famous (infamous) "neo tarp" of days gone by. Traditional camo print on a PU coated nylon, except hex instead of diamond. I didn't ask, or don't remember, what the weight is on them but I'd bet more than a dollar it doesn't weigh as much as the neo tarp. I lost my neo tarp years ago, so the Jacks just moved up on my shopping list.

Stormcrow had a couple of teasers in place. There was a purdy cuben tarp he made and the most interesting thing I saw at Trail Days this year, a cuben underquilt (Phoenix style). It was pretty much like holding nothing; very cool. Their special guest star was the easy on the eyes greatest hiker in the world, Dutch. He had stripped the titanium out of the old shuttle fleet and diced it up into wittle bitty chunks of Ti magic. Clips, biners, hooks, and flyz littered one end of a table. So pretty and sparkly.

Brian from OES brought a (just one) cuben Deluxe MacCat. Once I wrote my name on it with a Sharpie, I took a look at it. He's doing some fancy taping on the ridgeline that uses more than just a strip of sail tape. Hopefully he'll explain the techy details, but I'm anxious to put it to some tests. Takes a few days for the tape to cure and it was brand spanking freshly assembled at Trail Days. I figure by this weekend it will be ready for some good tension. Deluxe size which is 13.1 oz in sil and 10.2 oz in Spinn, but in cuben it's a measly 5.7 oz of goodness.

Tree to Tree Trail Gear was there as well, with special guest star MacEntyre. I don't recall anything new, but their stuff sure did look nice hanging out there. They were one of the first booths if you were coming out of tent city, so I think most every hiker walked right past a fleet of hammocks parked off the sidewalk/trail.

Grand Trunk had a canopy set-up in the parking lot across from the church, but I never saw anybody there nor was there anything there...just a canopy.

I'm sure I'm missing somebody/something, but there was a lot of hammock stuff going on this year. One of the most amazing things to me this year was the number of thrus I saw with hammocks. I missed last year, but the growth of hammock users since I first attended Trail Days in 2007 has been steadily going up. This year was like an explosion! The strange thing is it wasn't HHs that I saw in the majority for once. It wasn't Warbonnets either. The clear winner was ENO; hands-down. Wasn't even close. The suspensions were all over the place, but by and large I believe they were mostly uneducated in the ways of the hammock. I suppose there is no better place to learn than on a long hike, but I was surprised to see such a low bar in place. Setups were sloppy and in many cases, useless. I was camped near a guy that had about 2.5' of exposed hammock on one end of his tarp. Looked like he took a diamond tarp and tried to set it on a square. Did I mention it rained all weekend? Dude's hammock had to be soaked, but he was sleeping in it every night. I saw dozens of equally poor setups this weekend. Nice to see the hammocks, but sad to see the level of proficiency.

All of our hammock vendors seemed to do very well for themselves this year. Hammock Gear's booth was pretty steady, Brian sold a record number of tarps and orders this year, Tom was almost sold out by Saturday afternoon and too busy to setup the Monsoon or Typhoon tarps, the Jacks booth was always filled with potential customers (as usual), Tree to Tree seemed to always have hikers milling around their hammocks; just an all around good hammock year at Trail Days. I'm kind of sad we aren't the weirdos anymore. I mean some of us are just plain weird, but the hammock thing is really gaining traction among the hikers out there. Bittersweet.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Awesome Report, Makes me jealous I missed it. I really hope that one day I am able to make trail days in the future.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the report Cannibal!!

Great time was had by all! Nice to see some old friends and put some names and faces together!!

I saw so much cool stuff, I'm still processing all of it (some of it wasn't even hammock related!!)

But even though I didn't make it to Dot's for the HF pic, I was there and the huge bump on the back of my head proves it!!

Planning for next year (maybe I'll actually find your camp and see that tarp!)

Cheers!!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    (maybe I'll actually find your camp and see that tarp!)
    Not possible; it's camouflaged and I'm sneaky.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Sad to hear about the poor setups but as you said people will learn when their butts end up on the ground or their hammocks get soaked. At least they are trying. Thanks for the report.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Cannibal, it was good to see you again. Hard to believe it had been so many yrs.

Who is going to post the group picture?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Cannibal, it was good to see you again. Hard to believe it had been so many yrs.

Who is going to post the group picture?
    Always good to see old friends; always!

MedicineMan posted a couple over in the Trail Days 2011 thread. More specifically, post #12.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    This was my favorite TD by far. I met some of my heroes this weekend. It seem like HF members were just all over the place. No lie about the poor set ups. We have a lot of future members here to teach the right way to hang.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hey Dutch, there's some TSA folks in Knoxville that were quite interested in my little baggie of Dutch stuff. Accidentally put my pocket knife in my carry-on, so they wanted to go through the whole bag. They couldn't figure what in the world the flyz and hooks were. The biners they understood, but the other stuff confused them.

They did let me re-check my pocket knife, so that was pretty nice.
    Trust nobody!

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    still recovering, but here are a few pics. Had a great time making new friends and seeing old ones!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast