Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

where to hang in Sierras/Tahoe

Any recommendations on where to go hanging in the Sierra Tahoe area. Looking for a weekend trip. what do you guys do if you can't find 2 suitable trees to hang from?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Not sure about that area, but there are some good ideas about treeless hanging on this thread.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One of my favorites lately is hiking to the top of Castle Peak near Donner Summit. You can do it as a day hike, but I do it as an overnighter and camp outside (near) the Peter Grubb hut. The hut is in Round Valley, so there aren't many trees next to it, but you can hang at the tree line ~100 yards away. Then zip of the peak in the morning. Quite pretty if you catch it on a clear day... you can see all the peaks/snow resorts around Tahoe (as well as Lassen on a REALLY clear day)...

Also, if you are feeling bold, that same trail splits at a point and you can head to Warren Lake. Its also beautiful, but it is a son-of-a-gun hike

Be warned though... if you are planning on going up soon there is still a TON of snow there. I was going up for a long trek in a few weeks but we had to postpone. Huge bummer.

I have never had an issue with trees in Tahoe. Some times I have to camp at the treeline of a meadow rather than in the middle, or I may have to go a wee bit out of the way, but I have always found two trees.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    When are you going? Makes a huge difference - go now and you need winter gear. Go in a couple months, you can hang anywhere below 10,000 feet. Take pads instead of an underquilt and you are set for crossing the alpine areas as well.

Tahoe just got more snow... the pack is at 198% of average. Try late July or August, even September.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    I've done 2 snow camping trips this season. Hoping to do one more, but I was thinking to try it in a hammock if I can get myself all setup correctly. Most likely I will wait till the snow melts before hanging. Haven't decided on which hammock setup yet. I wanted a starter hammock that is not too much investment to make sure I like it. I think my tarptent is lighter, but the hammock sounds more comfortable.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I took my wbbb and 3s crowsnest down to -7f at donner pass this winter (with a few supplements to my set up of course)...

if you want a relatively inexpensive hammock to get started try an ENO. i have a double nest that i used for a long time and my wife is currently using. i think they are ~$65 at REI... great purchase imo
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts