Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I was also thinking that you could add extensions to the uprights.

Lets see, the best way to describe it. A short piece of square tubing that fits into the upright, then a piece welded going horizontal (out). Then another short piece welded so that it is sticking up. Your tarp would then attach to this. The only thing to touch the stand would the the tarp suspension at the ends.

Clear as mud?

Then if your using this inside or just for a nap and don't need/want the tarp, you can just leave the extensions off.
    That would work, too.

With any stand used outside, it's a good idea to tie it down. Gusty winds will knock a stand with hammock attached over the first time you turn your back.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It's worth noting that it's possible to go smaller than I did with this stand. I built one for use in a canvas wall tent that measures 26"x100", and it easily accommodates my Speer hammock.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty 12x12
    Insulation
    PonchoLiner GT+32
    Suspension
    Webbing,Rings,Carb
    Images
    When I looked at this my trailer hitch came to mind to make joints for diss-assembly. the hitch pins can hold joints together as well as anchor points, also if making slip joints midway up and across for ease of storage and transport, all can fit in a duffel bag.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've been looking for a durable stand with a small footprint. Weasel (youngest son, forum member) has talked about hanging permanently but his room is pretty small. The turtledog stands we made just take up too much room, and there's a lot of wasted space because of the pyramid shapes of the tripods. We couldn't get enough ridgeline for him to get a comfy lay in.

Looked at this thread when Oldgringo linked it for someone else. I don't have any welding equipment (or skills)...but I DO have friends. Sent the link to a friend of mine who is much more capable at this stuff...he's making plans for a non-welded version for me this weekend.

This should work great in the son's room. Makes full use of the length of the room, can be pushed up close to the far wall. It will be fully capable of being broke down, and very adjustable in height and length. Will post what he comes up with.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Love this. I think the round top tube - two peice design modification would make it pretty versitile too.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    mine...at the moment :)
    Tarp
    a 8x10 blue :)
    Insulation
    about 30% BMI
    Suspension
    TBD...
    Gonna bump this thread cause its pretty close to what I want to build. I am a fat effer at 285 so wood and lag bolts in wood dont thrill me and I also find steel can be cheaper more often than one might think. Looked into the black pipe, screw together type but that gets a little spendy at Lowes-Depot. Unthreaded pipe by the length is a lot cheaper but I really dont have a practical way to thread it. Why not square tube I thought.

I would think that long bar across the top is not really taking as much stress as the uprights so one could get by with thinner gauge there and if you rotate it with a corner pointed up it should resist bowing a little better still. Am I thinking wrong? Any engineers in the house?
    “Being smart is what keeps some people from being intelligent” --- Thomas Sowell

“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys” --- P. J. O'rourke

"...I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas." David Crockett

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Mine is 14 gauge...I don't see a reason to go any thinner.
    You are correct...turning the top rail 45° so that the bending force is across the diagonal will make it more resistant to bowing. If the hammock attachment points are kept within 10-12 inches of the top rail, you shouldn't encounter any problems.
    Dave

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Bumping this because it was mentioned in another thread -- someone was looking for a stand design that would fit in a smaller space than a turtledog...

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234