Hello from WB member, RRGorge tips?

I was told by a Whiteblaze member that I should post my questions on this site, because most of yall hike in the Red River Gorge area... So here goes!

My wife and I are planning on going to RRG this Friday-Monday. We are looking to Canoe on Saturday, but camp Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Would anyone recommend some campsites that would help us out? I am thinking we find a campsite close to a parking lot for Friday night, camp out, then hike out Saturday morning to the car, take the car and do the canoeing, then hike out again to a more primitive site for the last two nights. Does this seem like a good plan, or should we just canoe out Friday, camp out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, then canoe out on Monday? Also, any links to good maps for the area is appreciated. Apparently, the USFS site is down and I am unable to get maps from there. Thanks!

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by DVNDSN View Post
    I was told by a Whiteblaze member that I should post my questions on this site, because most of yall hike in the Red River Gorge area... So here goes!

My wife and I are planning on going to RRG this Friday-Monday. We are looking to Canoe on Saturday, but camp Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Would anyone recommend some campsites that would help us out? I am thinking we find a campsite close to a parking lot for Friday night, camp out, then hike out Saturday morning to the car, take the car and do the canoeing, then hike out again to a more primitive site for the last two nights. Does this seem like a good plan, or should we just canoe out Friday, camp out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, then canoe out on Monday? Also, any links to good maps for the area is appreciated. Apparently, the USFS site is down and I am unable to get maps from there. Thanks!
    Well, some off us hike in RRG. Its a fairly large area, with lots to see. Where you should go depends on what you want to see and do.

A popular hike is a loop that takes in Gray's Arch. this can be seen on any of the maps online - try this website for a few more suggestions and a basic map. (It doesn't show elevation changes. there are steep climbs of several hundred feet rising from the canyon floor to the top of the ridges.) Unfortunately, I don't have a regular website with information.

There are many campsites in the gorge. Whenever the trails cross the top of the ridges or streams on the floors there is likely to be a campsite nearby.

Don't forget to pick up a parking permit (about $5 for the weekend.) Most stores and gas stations off just of the highway will have these. Many also carry maps and other info.

The Gladie Vistor center also has a lot of information.

• + New Posts