Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing

Need Help For Big Camper

A friend of mine asked me to build a Hammock for him. I have a WBBB1.7 and he was impressed, and thought that it would been nice to be off the ground when we go camping. HERE IS THE ISSUE: I need to make a hammock that will support a man who is 6'10 inches tall and 550lbs. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how much ripstop nylon i will need? Layering tips? The webbing i will need for suspension? Thanks in advance for any tips, ideas. If anyone has made one to support this much weight please post a photo of it. Thanks

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Based on Warbonnet's recommendations, a double 1.7 is rated at 400lbs. I successfully hang in a single 1.1 at 210lbs, so there's some safety in those numbers.

I would guess that a triple 1.7 would work. I think the issues might be where the hammock attaches to the suspension... Wrap your larkshead around twice to spread the load.

Length? I'd start with 11'6" or so raw fabric. I'm 6' and 10' hammock is plenty comfortable.

You can get 1/8" amsteel which is stronger than 7/64ths that most of us use.... (7/64 is 1,600 breaking strength, 1/8" = 2,500lbs...)

For tree straps: 2" seatbelt webbing... and carabiners...

Oh, and don't hang real high... just in case... there have been a few failures out there.

Others have had success with Polyester fabrics, as they don't stretch as much, but I'm not sure where to start there...

Pics of your friend in it, or it didn't happen!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    I think perhaps a muti layer bridge hammock might actually spread the load out over more area than a whipped end or channel end hammock.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Wrap your larkshead around twice to spread the load.
    You might consider using webbing instead of rope because of the increased surface area.

Tripple stitch all seams

Good Luck!
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    1big, you may find this thread helpful. Here.

For 550 lbs., I'd recommend three layers of 1.7 or 1.9 ripstop, in a gathered end style. Bridges actually focus the weight on the four tie-outs and compression on the spreader bar would be immense. The spreaders would need to be thick and strong, I'll leave the math to the bridge experts. Most bridges are not rated for heavy hangers due to the forces/safety involved. 250-300lbs is the max.weight I've seen for bridge hammocks. And generally bridges are narrow, probably not a good choice here.

I'm 6-5 and 300+lbs, and find a gathered end hammock in the ~10 foot long finished length/60ish" wide hammock extremely comfortable. One thing to consider when adding length to the hammock, is to consider the tarps available. Bigger hammock = bigger tarp, in most cases. Structural ridgelines do shorten the hammock, I enjoy a 100" ridgeline, ymmv. I've seen some wider fabric available (70") and would recommend that for this project, if it's available in the correct 1.7, 1.9 range. It should help with the extra girth needed in this application.

Suspension-wise, I'd say 1/8" amsteel (at minimum, perhaps larger?) or good webbing. 550 lbs. is pushing the envelope as to what an average hammock suspension is capable of.

At 300+ lbs, I have successfully used single layer (1.7) hammocks (without fail) and see the fabric as incredibly strong. So it can be done. I went this route to see what was possible with the fabric, and do not recommend it for other heavy hangers. As a matter of safety, I suggest double/triple layers.

Good luck on your build of the "super-duty" hammock.
    Pics or else.

Oh..Two big trees also!

I'm not the fabric expert, but why not go with a heavier fabric like 200D nylon, or something like Thru Hiker Dyneema X? Seems like it would be less hassle than double or triple layering. Just a thought.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    I'm not the fabric expert, but why not go with a heavier fabric like 200D nylon, or something like Thru Hiker Dyneema X? Seems like it would be less hassle than double or triple layering. Just a thought.
    Certainly doable..but,
    Cost-$23.00 a yard is a lot of money. But in the same total $ amount when you factor in three layers.
    Width-According to the link, its only 57" wide. To obtain the good width of most modern hammocks, you'd need to add a set of strips to the edges (think ENO DN). Adding to overall costs.
    Flexibility-Trying to gather 57" wide piece of 200d Dyneema fabric will be a huge mass at the ends.
    Comfort-Fabric of this weight will be stiff. Lighter fabrics will flex and move better, IMO.
    Breathability-200d would be clammy to lay in. (just a guess, since I've never laid in a 200d hammock)
    3 layers of 70d=210d, plus offer some options such as a pad pocket.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing
    Thanks for the ideas, I will be sure to post some pics once he is in it and its working!

• + New Posts