Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    From my experience if you are wanting a true 3 season set I would stay away from the DP quilts. I own them and have froze in them. In my opinion I would call them a 1 season quilt. Then again with a better UQ like you are talking about the DP TQ might be ok. I will not use them as a set if the weather is going to be below 60 (was cool/cold at 58 deg F last weekend).

Ski

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    I feel that you can't go wrong with the hammock gear quilts, and my leighlo 3 season UQ is top notch as well.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastFeastCoast View Post
    Hammockgear.com 3/4 Pheonix looks pretty **** nice- my question on this is the 3season or the summer? Is there that big of a difference, and even if so, will the 3 season be tooo hot in the summer? (Will I even bring it in the middle of summer? haha)
    Partial length underquilts, in particular, are very easy to vent when the weather gets too warm. Error on the side of caution would be my recommendation.

For UQ's I really like the quality of these and have searched around a little, and can't find anything in quality goose down that compares in price/weight ratio (155 bucks ain't bad, ya'll). (please let me know if I'm missing something out there!)
    Assuming you go with a 3-season, the Warbonnet Yetis save you 2.5oz for $1 extra.

Still, I got to play with a bunch of Hammock Gear's stuff last weekend and I don't have a thing to say bad about it. Very nice and well made quilts to be sure. For a partial summer UQ, it would be a no-brainer to order from them.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    This is great stuff guys/gals! I really do appreciate it. I'm kind of sick of buying gear and then buying better gear later. I want this to be a one and done, use it for years, type of situation. Leighlo's stuff looks great as well. The hybrid TQ, in particular, looks especially nice. My only concern on that would be compressibility, I think I'll try to get in contact through her website!

I'm leaning towards full goose down for both TQ and UQ. It seems through past experience and research you just can't beat the weight/compression of real down.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Thanks for the insight guys!

For right now the lows are above 55F and through the summer even higher. I can look at a heavier weight TQ for the winter when it arrives . I kind of figured I might end up needing 2 TQs as temps change (hence the cheap one for summer right now haha). I would like to buy one high quality UQ and be done with it year-round (probably no winter hanging). I would say I'm an average sleeper, usually with a fan on near my bed at home in all seasons except winter and part of fall. The lowest temps I would probably be hanging in are around 40F, and wouldn't mind extra clothes in that kind of temperature. Wasn't planning on any overstuff, but maybe an ounce or 2 wouldn't hurt and isn't that expensive.
    If you have a place to "test hang", I've got some of the gear you're wondering about. I'm in Knoxville as well and could let you try them.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    chiming in:

Summer Phoenix UQ 1 oz overfill
    Summer Burrow TQ
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i have both quilts you are looking at. a winter crowsnest and a leighlo summer. here is my 2 cents...

definitely get a summer version of whichever you go with. i wouldn't bother with an overstuff, since you'll likely have some sort of jacket with you that you can put on if you get really cold.

as far as from which vendor. my crowsnest is stuffed fuller (meaning it feels thicker when i press on it) than the leighlo however leighlo's has kept me comfortable down into the mid 30's. leighlo's fabric is slightly softer (at least the 2 quilts i have, fabric can change from bolt to bolt) than the crowsnest, which matters more for topquilt than underquilt.

the crowsnest cost more and the wait will be longer. leighlo had my quilt to me in a week. hammockgear has a great rep and they are backlogged quite a bit. if you want it "now" then you're probably going to have to order from leighlo. weight is right around the same, although the crowsnest is slightly more coverage...

all in all, smile, b/c either UQ will be a win. i would have a hard time picking between the 2 despite owning both

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Not knocking HG quilts they are great. But have you considered WB 3 season mamba and the yeti. That's my fall and spring set up and I got it down to 27*F. Compact set up and light weight compared to most. Quality is great.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Hey guys/gals, thanks for all the good info. I'm still saving funds for the venture, but I think I'm going to go with the HG Pheonix summer and the Burrow summer... They just seem to be the lightest weight, full down, most affordable option. There are some great looking quilts out there by Warbonnet and Leighlo, but the Crowsnest system just seems to be the best option for what I'm looking for.

Let me know if anyone has a used Pheonix or Burrow out there for sale :P

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12