I ordered a MacCat Deluxe on April 29th. On May 2nd I inquired if the 2 week delay was still in effect and on the 4th Brian responded back that that yes there was still a 2-2.5 week delay but my MacCat would ship “as soon as I return from Trail Days”, now to me, the uniformed consumer, that means the beginning to middle of this week. Of course technically it could mean anytime Monday the 16th until Trail Days 2012. I responded back on the 4th stating thanks for the quick reply and asked if the tarp would ship the third week of May. I have not heard back since.
Since the 4th I e-mailed, PM’d and sent a message via the OES contact form all advising that if at all possible I would like to have the tarp this weekend and would gladly take whichever color he had available and would pay the up-charge for Express mailing. I have not received any response from any of the forms of communication I attempted. Well except for the comment in yellow that was added to the contact form advising he was “catching up with e-mails as quickly as possible”.
I would liked to have had the Tarp this weekend so I can do some new equipment adjustments and shakedown, for my 7 day trip I’m taking the week of Memorial day.
However I need to have that tarp by next Friday the 27th.
My frustration comes not so much from the delay, but from the complete lack of communication.
I am well aware that Brian is a one man operation, that he has a life outside of OES, that Trail Days put him behind, etc. I also know of the detail put into these tarps, I have seen them in the wild and would go as far as saying they are of extreme quality. I was also aware when I placed the order that this has happened before, and is why based on the blog post dated April 13th, I figured on 3 weeks.
The tarp may be done, maybe ready ship, or is next in line, I don’t know, because there has not been a response, at least to me.
So, if anyone does have steady contact with Brian. Could someone check on the status of order # 3416?