Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles

8x10 and 10x10 tarps over a Blackbird?

Hi All,

I've searched this a few times and found a couple people saying they've used an 8x10 with a blackbird but I wanted to post here and see if I could get some more detailed feedback from anyone using an 8x10 or 10x10 tarp with their blackbird.

I have a WB Edge tarp in Spinn which is my usual "hammock" tarp but I also already have an 8x10 and a 10x10 tarp and I'm curious if they will work OK with the blackbird in a rectangle, or do they have to be pitched diagonally? I'm primarily concerned about the ridgeline length. The Edge is 126" on the ridgeline and seems just about long enough. I'm not sure if a 10' tarp would be long enough for good coverage? If they do have to be pitched diagonally what's the side coverage like? I'm used to the Edge, it's a small tarp but hex cut so I get good side coverage when pitched low enough.

I'm planning to get out there at some point and test both tarps with the hammock but in the meantime was hoping to hear anyone else's experiences.

Thanks!

-Jay

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I have a DIY BB clone and find that my 8 x 10 has plenty of coverage for 3 seasons. The coverage on the ends is only about 6 inches or so, but I haven't had any problems with the hammock or my quilts getting wet. You do have to set up carefully when you are anticipating a storm.

(A few years ago an 8 x 10 tarp was considered a large tarp. Its a matter of perspective and extra safety.)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    I have a DIY BB clone and find that my 8 x 10 has plenty of coverage for 3 seasons. The coverage on the ends is only about 6 inches or so, but I haven't had any problems with the hammock or my quilts getting wet. You do have to set up carefully when you are anticipating a storm.

(A few years ago an 8 x 10 tarp was considered a large tarp. Its a matter of perspective and extra safety.)
    Thanks for the reply. The Edge is pretty close to an 8x10 tarp itself, but that extra 6 inches on the ridgeline seems like a lot on paper. Sounds like it'll still clear with an 8x10 though which is what I was hoping for

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    The WBBB has a fixed ridge line at 100" or 101" so a 10x10 is plenty big pitched square.

Ski

I don't have a BB, but the difference is 3in on each side (end) of the tarp between the Edge and the 8x10 (10" ridge is 120in)! How much coverage does your Edge provide on the ends past the end of the hammock? 2in, 3in, 6in? I have used my Speer 8x10 with my Hennessy, and GT hammocks without issue, actually I favor the rectangle design more than the hex design!

Just somethin to think about!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Picture is worth a thousand words, thanks Ski Looks like either the 8x10 or the 10x10 will work just fine judging by that pic.

I've never measured my Edge tarp's clearance over the ends, but just looking at it by eye it doesn't look like like there's much room left over. Probably it's the hex shape, the pointed ends are a lot skimpier looking than a rectangle.

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Outside to outside of the cinch buckles is 105" (just measured for you). That gives you 7.5" each side on a 10x10 tarp. This is just with the weight of the hammock... I bet the coverage is a tad better once you lay in it. I keep my hammock strung up in the basement so if you need any more measurements let me know.

Ski

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ohski View Post
    Outside to outside of the cinch buckles is 105" (just measured for you). That gives you 7.5" each side on a 10x10 tarp. This is just with the weight of the hammock... I bet the coverage is a tad better once you lay in it. I keep my hammock strung up in the basement so if you need any more measurements let me know.
    You are awesome That answers my question perfectly!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I've tried my 10x10 jrb tarp with the blackbird, its slight cat cut but not much. Even though the ridge line length is 100", the gathered end adds some legnth and I must say its just adequite, barely. It'll deffiently work fine but you do have to be a bit more accurate with your pitching depending on the method you use it may be a pain or may be easy and quick. The tarp corners should provide some good coverage.

So it works fine but I personelly would prefer atleast an 10.5' legnth for a blackbird, maybe even 11'. I love my maccat standard but I too may be moving in the way of the rectangle.

• + New Posts