Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie

Insultex under a GG pad?

More specifically, directly under a pad.

Most of what i've read here on HF says that once insultex is compressed, it loses it's insulating power, but I found one guy over at the WB forums that said he just slips a few layers of IX in between the 2 layers of his hammock and it keeps him nice and warm (though it's not mentioned down to what temperature).

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...0&postcount=41

So, it sounds like people have been having different experiences with it, and it got me thinking. What if I evened out the pressure on a couple layers of IX in between hammock layers with a Gossamer Gear 1/4", wide pad on top of the IX, so that there is less direct pressure on any one area?

Has anyone tried this? Top hammock layer, then a pad, then a couple layers of IX, then the bottom layer of the hammock.

I want to test this out to find out if this would keep the cold out from under me up in Yosemite in June at 6,000 ft elevation, but i'm in socal and temps aren't dropping below 55dF at night.

Images
    I have not tried anything like that, I guess it needs to be looked into. I do know that I seem to get better results from my IX UQ once I took Mac's advice and quit worrying so much about maintaining the air gap and instead just make sure the suspension is tight enough.

Images
    IX traps warm air. If it's compressed, there won't be any air for it to trap. It acts more like a barrier though, so you'll get more warmth than compressing a down bag so to speak.

IX does infinitely better as an UQ with the gap of air between the hammock and it to warm. In fact, it does better as an UQ than a TQ for this reason. TQ tend to be tucked in close, and loose that gap of warm air.

I use IX for an UQ and TQ at 40F and above, and these observations are based on my experience. I haven't, and won't, try lying on compressed IX. Just don't think it'd be worth it when it works so much better tied up as and UQ.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    hmmm, ok, i'll just have to wait and try it out myself next winter- i'm not going to risk trying it out for the first time up at 6500 ft in yosemite, it may be in the high 30's still.

I think i'm just going to grab a 3/8" Gassamer Gear thinlight to pair with the 1/4" GG wide i have. 5/8" total should be more than enough, even for a cold sleeper like me, and, looking at it, it wouldn't be any heavier than a couple layers of insultex.

I was hoping my pads wouldn't add up to as much as 18-20 ounces, but i'd rather be too warm than too cold. I'll be cutting weight by switching to a DIY 7.5 oz/yd2 climashield topquilt as some point, so I guess that's fine.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    It's worth a try, especially for temps above 49*F... if it works, you are all set!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    It's worth a try, especially for temps above 49*F... if it works, you are all set!
    Why 49dF? Is the 1/4" GG pad alone generally regarded to be able to handle down to that temp?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    Why 49dF? Is the 1/4" GG pad alone generally regarded to be able to handle down to that temp?
    I'm sorry, I was thinking of the IX by itself.

If you have a GG pad of any thickness, you won't even notice the addition of a piece of IX. The evasote foam is many times the insulation of the 1/32" piece of PE foam that's inside IX.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I'm sorry, I was thinking of the IX by itself.

If you have a GG pad of any thickness, you won't even notice the addition of a piece of IX. The evasote foam is many times the insulation of the 1/32" piece of PE foam that's inside IX.
    ah, gotcha- then it sounds like it's all IX or none- looks like i'll be going with a 1/4" plus a 3/8" pad to get me down to the 30's- still a little bit lighter than my old Thermarest Prolite 4!

• + New Posts