Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images

Dunk Away!

I pick up "Hi-Yield 38" (38%) in the 32oz at the local hardware for a little over $13.

At that price, I mix a small bucket, build a pile of dunkables and get to dunking. Clothes, hammocks, tarps, whole shebang gets dunked and hung out to dry in no time flat. Clothes get run through the wash once before wearing. My concentration is ussually "just a tad" over 1/2%.

I ussually have plenty skeeters hanging by one leg from the inside of the hammock netting when morning comes round. Works great for chiggers too!
    Careful around the cats though. Stuff is extremely toxic to felines.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    ...My other thought was to buy some high-concentration of permethrin, and bottle up small quantities to share with HF... That way, we could share the costs... 32oz of 36% permethrin is about $40. .....Add packaging and shipping... the question is, could you legally ship the stuff USPS...
    I think your question should be...do you want to except the liability for selling a product improperly labeled to be used in a manner against it's original labeling? The lawyers are still out there.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Oh yeh, and don't put the concentrate directly in your wife's washing machine in the house. (Though it does allow for a nice preriod with absolutely no bugs in the house). If she's like mine, she will not be too impressed with your ideas on efficiency of operation- hence my current dunk and hang technique all carried out under the back porch!
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm still half afraid to spray anything on my beloved hammocks. I did spray it (Sawyers) on my clothing for a recent ten day trip but was reluctant to spray it on the WBBB I was using. (no ticks btw)

This is 100% safe for hammocks....right?????

Miguel

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I just wish I could find some like Sawyers- but in bulk- that does NOT have "contains Petroleum distillates" and that even has directions for applying to clothing.
    Did a little more Google-fu. Permethrin does not dissolve in water, hence the need for petroleum distillates as a solvent. The mixes I looked at also have a emulsifier to allow the hydrocarbon solvent (containing the dissolved permethrin) to mix throughout the water.

The 36.8% permethrin concentrate has a higher percentage of petroleum distillate (>15%), as expected, to dissolve the higher amount of permethrin, but will also get diluted.
    Last edited by BER; 06-18-2011 at 10:50.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I don't think there's any way of getting around the petroleum distillates. I assume permethrin isn't water soluble and needs the distillates as a carrier. Oh-no also wrote that once mixed with water the product will only remain in solution for a short time with no way of getting it to mix again, so once you mix it use it.

Also, by using the higher concentrates you end up with less distillates.

Oops. Just noticed BER already addressed this.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Thanks BER! That will still be more expensive than diluting the Hi Yield even 10%, and especially 38%. But the prices are pretty good, especially if I get the Super saver shipping by buying a couple at Amazon. And I do prefer the sawyers, so I might well order some of that! Good links!

8 oz of Hi Yield Indoor/outdoor 10% at $5.99 diluted to 160 oz of .5%. ( using the 38% at 12.99 for 8 oz even cheaper)

Sawyer's 24 oz of .5% at $12.50 to $14.38. So obviously still a lot more expensive. ( as you have already pointed out in your post)

Plus, I like the convenience of just taking 1/2 oz of concentrate and adding 9 oz of H2O like I did this morning. After spraying 1 full set of clothing, I still had plenty left.

However, I prefer the sawyers on my clothing, maybe even on my hammocks, so I may get some at those good prices! Maybe I will just use the Hi Yield on my packs, stuff sacks and yard. Or anytime I am out of sawyers and need a quick fix. Or anytime I am feeling extra cheap!
    (which is often!)
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I don't think there's any way of getting around the petroleum distillates. I assume permethrin isn't water soluble and needs the distillates as a carrier. Oh-no also wrote that once mixed with water the product will only remain in solution for a short time with no way of getting it to mix again, so once you mix it use it.

Also, by using the higher concentrates you end up with less distillates.

Oops. Just noticed BER already addressed this.
    Yep, looks like there is no way around the distillates, although my Sawyers container did not spell this out on the label, unlike the Hi Yield stuff which plainly says it. However, on SOME items ( my safari hammock, and my Pinnacle pack and one cotton t shirt) I do notice some very slight residue- reminds me of a few small greasy spots- at least for a while. On others, I see nothing, and none have a smell. I don't think I ever saw this with Sawyers.

But this is SOOOOOO much cheaper and convenient.

I guess that is correct about needing to use soon after mixing, that it won't stay in solution. But I must say, I have used some left over back yard spray a year after I bought it, and it still seemed effective. Same for my Sawyers. Maybe they are not AS effective, or it won't last as long, but both def seemed to still work.

But just in case, that is why I have started mixing much smaller amounts, like .5 oz Perm to 9.5 oz water.

PS: I just brought in my clothing that I sprayed this A.M.. Lying on top of my nylon cargo shorts was one dead mossie! I guess he was flying by and picked the wrong place for a short break!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-18-2011 at 13:00.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I think your question should be...do you want to except the liability for selling a product improperly labeled to be used in a manner against it's original labeling? The lawyers are still out there.
    Good point. Just being cheap, I guess... Given how often I would use this stuff, 32oz is a lifetime supply for me and my whole family! 1oz would last me 2+ years... (not many mossies in my desert!)
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Modified HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MacCat or OMW
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    This is 100% safe for hammocks....right?????
    I've sprayed my hammock both with Sawyer's and also with my home brew mix. No problems.

The Sawyer's has the least odor, for what that's worth. But the home brew odor does go away.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods