Hammock
    ENO Single-Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Suspension
    Slap Straps

Question First Tarp vs. DIY?

Ok, so, I have a dilemma. I am a brand new hammock hanger. I just got my hammock the other day and I am thrilled. However, to go camping with it I need a tarp. I have a very tight budget, and for this reason I am looking at possibly doing a DIY tarp. I could use some help. I would probably only be doing three season camping in my hammock right now. I need the tarp to be usable with and ENO DoubleNest hammock. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I have seen several people use a Kelty Noah's Tarp 9'x9'. Thank you in advance!!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you're wanting to DIY the easiest is a rectangular tarp, although it can be difficult to achieve good tension through out. Cat cut hex tarps are very popular and can be had at a reasonable price.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    ENO Single-Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Thanks, quick question. What exactly is a cat cut? By the way, I love your signature. Thanks again for the help. Also, do you know of any good bug nets besides the ENO Gaurdian bug net which I am looking at getting?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    The cat cut tarps have a circular line cut out of the edge between tie out points, by reducing the amount of fabric between tie outs it helps to tighten the whole thing up nicely. (As I understand, certainly no expert in tarp design.)

There are other bugnet options out there as well, search around the forums here for lots of suggestions.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutitoutz View Post
    Thanks, quick question. What exactly is a cat cut? By the way, I love your signature. Thanks again for the help. Also, do you know of any good bug nets besides the ENO Gaurdian bug net which I am looking at getting?

A cat, or catenary, cut is a curved edge to the tarp which makes it easier to keep the tarp tight. See OES tarps website, where you can compare straight edged tarps to catenary cut.

That said, if you are looking to cut cost a rectangular (straight edged tarp) is cheaper and easier to make. An 8 x 8 square tarp is easy to make and can be used as a diamond. My only tarp is a straight edged 8 x 10 which I have used in all sorts of weather.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    There are some pretty cheap tarps out there. Of course they certainly weigh a bit more, but they'll do. Check out the guide gear tarps (I have one, cost me $20 and it well worth more to me), chinook, and maybe even a PU coated campmor tarp.

In a bind you can always use a cheap blue walmart tarp. I did on my first trip and it worked fine for the crazy thunder storm I was in.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Also a large enough rectangular tarp can be pitched with the corners down and inward to form doors for those really bad storms that you didn't expect. Not as elegant as a specifically designed 4 season tarp, but will do in a pinch.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutitoutz View Post
    ...Also, do you know of any good bug nets besides the ENO Gaurdian bug net which I am looking at getting?
    Here are a couple of other popular choices for bug nets.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php

http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...on/bugsock.php

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I bought two 5x7 tarps from Walmart for $9.88 each, and sewed them together for a 10ish x 7 tarp. Inexpensive, and easy.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=29792&page=5

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've been using the ENO DN for a few years now. For awhile I got by on a roughly thrown together modification of the cheapo bug net that gander mtn sells...the kind thats meant to be suspended above a cot on the ground. it was messy and tangled with me and everything but it was under $10. I went with that and a blue walmart tarp for a few summers before I wanted more. I got the bug shield thing from ENO and i can tolerate it. i dont suppose any bug solution is exceedingly roomy, but it looked like one of the less restrictive options. For the tarp, i found online some rectangular green thing with white ribbon-like attachments sewn onto it. its like a silnylon. 8x10 or so. was under $20. I've been pitching it like an a-frame old school tent, but getting tension in it is a challenge. but i stay dry, and it folds down nicely which was the problem with the blue tarp. It looks a little less trailer-park anyway.

• + New Posts