Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Asymmetry- Am I doing this right!? (rainfly)

So excuse a total newbie to this- I'm embarrassed to be asking because I actually have a decent amount of experience outdoors. All of this is with a stock expedition with the asymmetrical rainfly.

With the asymmetrical hammock, whichever way you lay in it, there is a pullout close to my head on the left, and close to my feet on the right. So- when you sleep slightly angled, you're supposed to shift head left and feet right?

More importantly- the rainfly: If I match up the 2 ends with the o-ring and the suspension line clips with the suspension line: I can flip the asymmetrical tarp 2 ways now.

If I put the short end to my left (with the close pullout) and the long end to my right (to the far pullout) it covers the hammock very nicely. BUT- when I do this the stitching is exposed, and the sealed end of the fly is facing down?

If I flip it over- the seal is up, but the corners don't match anymore. What stupid mistake am I making here?

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockHound View Post

With the asymmetrical hammock, whichever way you lay in it, there is a pullout close to my head on the left, and close to my feet on the right. So- when you sleep slightly angled, you're supposed to shift head left and feet right?
    which ever way is more comfortable for you works, i find i like the zipper to my right so that my head is on the left side of the hammock and my feet to the right as i'm laying in it, that's most comfortable in mine, but i don't think there's really a right or wrong way, either way works

More importantly- the rainfly: If I match up the 2 ends with the o-ring and the suspension line clips with the suspension line: I can flip the asymmetrical tarp 2 ways now.

If I put the short end to my left (with the close pullout) and the long end to my right (to the far pullout) it covers the hammock very nicely. BUT- when I do this the stitching is exposed, and the sealed end of the fly is facing down?

If I flip it over- the seal is up, but the corners don't match anymore. What stupid mistake am I making here?
    you want the sealed side up, imo, seems to me if you put the sealed side up and just switch the ends you'd have the same things as you describing when you are hanging it the first way, just reverse ends........if i'm understanding your question right

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Ok- with the sealed side up, and the clips on the support line matching up with the support line itself, and the short sides not matching up with the short sides of the hammock.

If I rotate it 180, Ive done nothing, just switched the tarps direction.

If I rotate 90, the tarp matches up the short and long corners, but now my tie outs are attached to the support line, and the free hanging sides of the tarp don't have a line...

All of this is pretty easy to fix, just be retying the rope: But I feel like its more likely that I'm making a mistake here than assuming the hammock was tied wrong.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    hmmmm, i can tell you the the tarp ridgeline is supposed to run the same direction as the tarp so the "o" rings should be at each end of the ridgeline to clip to the prusics that came on the hammock suspension

i originally had a stock tarp with my hennessy and changed it out for a warbonnet bmj, because i felt like the stock tarp left me exposed too much, many members here have said they have ridden out some pretty good storms with just the stock hennessy tarp tho, so maybe what you are experiencing is the same as me, more the feeling of exposure and not necessarily the tarp not covering like it's designed too, not saying that's it, just a commenting it could be

one other thing, is the tarp the right one for the hammock, could you of gotten a tarp that wasn't designed for your hammock, my gf has a hyperlite with a stock tarp and there's no way that tarp would ever be big enough for my explorer

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    1.7d WBBB

Hennessey tarp

I have the same problem with the hyperlight I just bought. If the seams are turned exposed side up then the hammock is covered nicely. If not then I cannot get the tarp to cover the hammock. I agree, it seems the tarp is built incorrectly for the asymmetrical lie???

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Swap it end for end and then flip it seam side down. Now the tarp tie outs will match the hammock tie outs, and the correct surface is exposed to the sky.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO (this and $1.50 will get you a coffee at a convenience store) I want the sealed side down, The seam is sealed no matter what, but facing down it is protected from blowing dirt, squirrel claws, waving foliage etc. If the seam is sealed you don't need to worry about the thread or the thread holes leaking. They are sealed up.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I'm not sure I get what you mean by seam side down?
    On my rain-fly I don't really see an up or down side for the seam..

And I assume your called the slightly coated/waxy side as the sealed side.
    Mine faces down and I have not had an issue.. It rain on it yesterday.
    And I swear I read somewhere (maybe here?) that the underside is the sealed side?

Other than that the only issues I have ran into with it lining up is when the tensioner knots are way to far in one direction which is an easy fix.
    (slide them the other direction)

Attach the fly so that: the large rings hook onto the clips on the suspension line, matching the ends of the tarp to the the shock cords (so they "meet") and make sure the pockets that can hold your tarp lines for stowage at each corner are underneath (on the bottom side) of the tarp.

So excuse a total newbie to this- I'm embarrassed to be asking because I actually have a decent amount of experience outdoors. All of this is with a stock expedition with the asymmetrical rainfly.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound45 View Post
    make sure the pockets that can hold your tarp lines for stowage at each corner are underneath (on the bottom side) of the tarp.
    I always figured any water that got caught in those pockets would just help keep the pitch tensioned.

Not sure if HH still has those water bottle tensioners or not. I always wondered if I wanted to drink rainwater that washed down the sides of the same tarp the squirrels pooped on. But I guess that's a personal decision.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast