1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a 3-season Burrow and Crowsnest/Phoenix. They are warm! I sometimes wish I had gotten a summer Burrow instead. Although I can unsnap the foot box, stick a leg out, etc., I do get a little hot on occasion when it's still too cool to just take it off. The 3-season Burrow is true to its temp rating and kept me warm down to 14* at the NJ Winter Hang.

I'm not sure how well this is actually working, but I have tried to shake the down out to the side to de-loft the center when I get too warm. I think it's helping a tad.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    piggybacking off of lazy river, if you expect to use these items mostly in the summertime then i'd think about doing 1 or the other as a "summer" version. personally i'd probably go 3 season top quilt and summer crowsnest. if you are expecting some really cold temps (like into the low 30s) then you can easily suppliment the underquilt with a pad...
    your better off going the other way ...
    get the UQ in the 3 season and the TQ in the summer..
    your going to get colder on your bottom end then you will your top ...heat rises
    don't forget

you can always vent a 3 season UQ if you get too warm
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Thank you all so much for the responses! I really appreciate all the help.

For more info, average high temps in the summer are in the high 70s and at night it's about 20 degrees cooler than during the day.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I find the weight and bulk savings for a Summer UQ to be minimal over a 3-season. You can "vent" or hang a 3-season with air gaps to get cooler, but you cannot make a Summer UQ warmer without adding gear. A warm UQ can also let you get by with less TQ in warmer months. And the 3-season will by definition allow for a broader application were you to use it other times of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by justin.hudgins View Post
    Thank you all so much for the responses! I really appreciate all the help.

For more info, average high temps in the summer are in the high 70s and at night it's about 20 degrees cooler than during the day.

So basically you are looking at night time lows around 50*??

If this is the case what "I" would do is use a summer set, but, I know how I sleep and I know how low I can take my summer set and what clothing I need to wear to get down even lower!

With that said, do you know the same details?? At this stage probably not, but with enough time you will, my personal recommendation to you is get a 3 season UQ, and your choice of TQ! If you are to go with a summer TQ I would recommend bringing some warm clothing to supplement just in case the temps get lower than expected!

You can get a summer UQ as most temp ratings on summer UQ's are around 40*, but if the temps should dip while out you might have a slightly cold night????

Good luck with your choices, we've all been there!!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    your better off going the other way ...
    get the UQ in the 3 season and the TQ in the summer..
    your going to get colder on your bottom end then you will your top ...heat rises
    don't forget

you can always vent a 3 season UQ if you get too warm
    it is quite easy to vent a top quilt as well. kick it down into the footbox, have it just cover your legs. lay on top of it...

i should've qualified my statement by saying that i carry a section of pad always and any time of the season, so i may as well put it to use... from now until sept i'll be carrying a summer UQ. extra cold nights will be dealt with by simply putting the pad underneath my butt and lower back...

i can see where you are coming from however and don't really know if there's a right or wrong way. perhaps just different to each individual...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    3 season incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

similar boat

was thinking of summer incubator but now you all have me thinking 3 season is the way to go for versatility.

i mostly travel by motorbike so space/wt. not an issue and im thinking full length so i dont have to carry the extra pad or similar for feet if it is cold.

sound reasonable? sorry if i hijacked!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soledoctor View Post
    was thinking of summer incubator but now you all have me thinking 3 season is the way to go for versatility.

i mostly travel by motorbike so space/wt. not an issue and im thinking full length so i dont have to carry the extra pad or similar for feet if it is cold.

sound reasonable? sorry if i hijacked!
    sounds reasonable to me. I would not consider one or the other more versatile then the other but say they are simply used for different temps if that makes sense. Any hhhooo if weight and space are of no issue to you then yes I would agree with you and go for the 3 season set. Or at least that's what I would do. I have various sets cause I back pack and don't want the extra weight during the warmer months.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12