Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3-Season or Summer?

Hi, all!

I'm new to hammock hanging and looking for some advice.

Over the summer I'll be working in Michigan at a Boy Scout reservation as the Trek Director. It'll involve leading groups of Scouts on 5-day treks on the backwoods of the reservation's property. Not having done any hanging, I'm a bit concerned on what to get for insulation. I'm looking at hammockgear's Burrow TQ and Phoenix UQ in the 3-season variety, but I don't know if that'll be too hot. I hate to go with the summer variety and be too chilly, though. Also, I'd prefer to buy something more multi-use after dropping that kind of coin.

I tend to sleep on the cool side.

Any help at all would be much appreciated. If more info would be helpful, I'm happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance!

Justin

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    get the 3 season set. it was my first purchase. i wouldn't do it different.

you can vent when warmer.
    get that snap burrow, even easier to "cool off" - just use as a blanket.
    it's the most versatile. if you come aboard full time--- a winter set and summer set will no doubt follow- both to lighten the load - and ensure warmth.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you are a cold sleeper I'd also recommend the 3 season. Cooling off is easier than warming up once your are tucked in for the night.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'd go for the 3 season. I have a summer TQ & UQ and now wished I'd gone for the 3 season. Used it the other night at about the limit of its advertised temperature range (4C) and was cold by the end of the night. This was wearing socks and a wool thermal top too which I don't usually do. It's still a fine piece of kit, I'd just been hoping it would do me for winter here in Western Australia which usually doesn't get much below this temperature.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Well my first question is what are the lows and highs you are expecting? I don't know MI temps in the summer? And not trying to convince you one way or the other but you'd be surprised how low summer quilts can take you as well as you can always get a little over stuff. I've taken my summer burrow and phoenix set down to 35 and have know others who have gone cooler in their summer set. Ive taken my 3 season set down to the 20's and have had not problems with comfort. It's certainly easy enough to vent a 3 season when it gets hots and it will cover more year round camping cause you can camp in cooler temps but if you want to save on weight id suggest the summer with supplemental clothing. But knowing what temps you are expecting would certainly help . And lastly Hammock Gear makes excellent quilts and regardless of which quilt you go with from them you will be receiving an awesome quilt. You can check my gallery for lots of pics of hammock gear quilts both in use and packed.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Well my first question is what are the lows and highs you are expecting? I don't know MI temps in the summer? And not trying to convince you one way or the other but you'd be surprised how low summer quilts can take you as well as you can always get a little over stuff. I've taken my summer burrow and phoenix set down to 35 and have know others who have gone cooler in their summer set. Ive taken my 3 season set down to the 20's and have had not problems with comfort. It's certainly easy enough to vent a 3 season when it gets hots and it will cover more year round camping cause you can camp in cooler temps but if you want to save on weight id suggest the summer with supplemental clothing. But knowing what temps you are expecting would certainly help . And lastly Hammock Gear makes excellent quilts and regardless of which quilt you go with from them you will be receiving an awesome quilt. You can check my gallery for lots of pics of hammock gear quilts both in use and packed.

Yip, what he said! +1
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    piggybacking off of lazy river, if you expect to use these items mostly in the summertime then i'd think about doing 1 or the other as a "summer" version. personally i'd probably go 3 season top quilt and summer crowsnest. if you are expecting some really cold temps (like into the low 30s) then you can easily suppliment the underquilt with a pad...

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just ordered the summer incubator with an extra ounce of down to get me to 32. I've had my Hennessy Supershelter much lower than that and feel confident that the summer uq will be enough for most of my needs. You really need to evaluate your own temp variables though.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben 4 season
    Insulation
    Te-wa down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    Go with the colder rated UQ. As another poster already said, its easier to vent than make warmer.

By the way, I spent the day yesterday reading and napping in my hammock out in the woods. The temps were in the high 60's. My UQ is rated into the 20s and I was perfectly comfortable all day with no venting.

Cheers,

Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Ringtail View Post
    Go with the colder rated UQ. As another poster already said, its easier to vent than make warmer.
    I would do this, than the opposite way around! Having the Summer TQ you could supplement with clothes if you were to get chilled, but by having the warmer UQ the chance of getting CBS is less likely to happen by using the 3 season UQ then vs the summer UQ!

I would still look into the temps that you will be out in before deciding on what to get (summer vs 3 season)!

IMHO, take it for what it's worth!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast