DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES

Long weekend Paddling and hanging

This past weekend was a long weekend for us and my wife and I and friends went on our annual spring canoe run down down the Saint Croix river(class III rapids) which forms the international border between Maine and New Brunswick. The weather was wet starting out but I managed to get everybody out on the water and once you start you have only one way home and thats down the river. After a few hours of wet weather we pulled over at a water access campsite and set up for the night and knowing it was going to be sunny the next day we thought it would be best to get off the river early. This trip was special because it was the first time my wife was sleeping in her hammock with me so that made excited and worried that it was up to me to keep her happy and warm. I was able to set both hammocks and both tarps side by side using three trees and It worked out perfect. My wifes hammock must have been good and warm because she slept for 6 hours in the afternoon.Being the good husband I am I gave her all the warmest gear and I used my summer weight gear but we both stayed very warm and cozy. The best part of hanging together was being beside each other but having our own space of the ground and close enough to pass things back on forth. I was very proud of my wife for being able to get in and out during the night and get her self back in and tucked, I guess the last 3 years of hearing me ramble on about hammocks sunk in. The gear we used was MacCat standard for me and noah12 for my wife, Two DIY hammocks, leighlo UQ and Golite TQ for me, DIY UQ and TQ + Down bag for my wife. All is good and next trip we will be hanging together again, thanks for reading.

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    sweet report myles! that is awesome how you got your wife outfitted properly...how could she dislike it? i'm glad that the weather decided to partially cooperate for you. i weathered a couple thundershowers on my most recent river trip just a couple weeks ago. in fact, i floated down the st croix river too! except this one forms part of the Wisconsin/Minnesota border. anywho, do you have any juicy details/pictures related to your boats/river? from the looks of your sweet barrels, you were rafting? canoeing? most excellent, sir.

--tim

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by ganon414 View Post
    sweet report myles! that is awesome how you got your wife outfitted properly...how could she dislike it? i'm glad that the weather decided to partially cooperate for you. i weathered a couple thundershowers on my most recent river trip just a couple weeks ago. in fact, i floated down the st croix river too! except this one forms part of the Wisconsin/Minnesota border. anywho, do you have any juicy details/pictures related to your boats/river? from the looks of your sweet barrels, you were rafting? canoeing? most excellent, sir.

--tim
    Glad you liked the report Tim, I didn't take and pics on the water or of the boats cause it was so wet. The Saint croix river is 80+ km river running from a large lake system out to the ocean, we canoed a 22km section over 2 days. On day 2 my wife and I went for an unplaned swim when our boat swamped , so the 2 barrels came in handy for keeping all our gear dry. The water was the highest I have ever seen it and was a bit much for our 15' oldtown but still worth the trip.

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    The water was the highest I have ever seen it and was a bit much for our 15' oldtown but still worth the trip.
    class III's in a 15' old town, woot! i have a 12' old town kayak that i absolutely love. earlier this spring i paddled it through a couple nice class II's and was very pleased. i distinctly remember one 3' wave where i took a less than ideal (read: sideways) line. i thought for sure i was going to get owned, but i punched right through! man i love paddling.

--tim

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Looks like a great trip. It is hard to beat a trip where you get to paddle and hang!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Very nice indeedy, thanks for sharing

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Nice report and thanks for the pictures.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

• + New Posts