WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    I quit my job as a nurse to hike the trail last year. I suppose any profession/trade that is in demand would be one to consider if you like to take long walks every once in a while. I spent close to 5k on my walk, but it can be done for much cheaper. Good luck and happy trails!!!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3 Season
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Jerry, I know what it's like having the life sucked out of you working for the DoD. I'm coming from the green side here. I'm hoping to quit and start hiking the AT as well. Let us know how it goes if you take the leap.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    A leap of faith.

I decided I wanted to do it. I wasn't happy with life, love, or my job so I figured, "What have I got to lose?" I sold everything that didn't fit in my truck, literally everything. I quit my job where I would have been made CEO this year had I stayed (according to succession planning). I drove my truck to my mom's house in Texas and took a flight to Atlanta. That's it.

After that, I just walked north and enjoyed breathing air again. It was supposed to be a complete reset on life. In many ways it was. I enjoy life and love now, but still dread going to work everyday. I made the mistake of coming back to the same field that I left; a little different view, but same field.

There really isn't much to hiking the AT. Lone Wolf on Whiteblaze often says "it's only walking" and I tend to agree. The hiking part is the easy part, it's the things and people that get left behind that are difficult. I didn't want to wait until I was retired and I missed my shot when I was a kid, so I took a leap of faith and just went. If I had it to do over again, there would be no hesitation. I was very lucky in the fact that my family offered me their complete emotional support. Genuine Draft and I got back together the week before I left for the trip and have been going strong ever since. It cost me a lot of money, both at the time and future earnings, but the mental rewards are worth tenfold.

Only problem is the addiction factor. It takes a great deal of willpower to stay home and go to work at a job I don't like when there are so many long trails out there. I'll go again in the future, but for now I'm being the good boyfriend while my girl is going to school. When she graduates, well let's just say negotiations have already begun.
    That was a really inspirational story. I have always had a lot of respect for someone who takes a leap of faith. Hats off to you sir.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I wish I could be 20 and do it. I have realized that after sometimes taking a week to recover from 2 day hiking trips that covered a measly 12-15 miles, that it'll probably never happpen. Although it's getting easier and I'm usually only sore for a couple days now, I'm not gettin any younger. For now I'm happy to get out for a couple nights at a time and sleep in the woods. I won't be able to drop out for 8 to 10, but when I do maybe I'll do it at my own pace. I think sectioning it a week or two at a time is the only option unless you want to chuck the job and go for it.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    WS, DBuckles
    Best wishes is all I can say.

A 3 day walk on the AT with my main trail partner and now 8yr old son is what brought me here... so as to gear hammock is the only way I would go. Plenty of trees on the AT in NC/TN sections but precious little flat ground that isn't grown over.

Balancing passion and responsibility is a b!%(# on the best day.

Hammock
    Hennesey Expedition
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkytxn View Post
    Balancing passion and responsibility is a b!%(# on the best day.
    That is well said...having a family and therefore, financial responsibilities...makes the balance of passion/responsibility a lingering struggle.

My wife and I always talk about "when the kids are in college we can...". We fantasize about what we really want ourlives to be. I am hoping I will be able to add the AT to that.

In the mean time, getting out when I can and visiting the HF site keep my passion thriving!!!

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Ahhhh great input from all..

TO answer a few questions....

I'm 45 years old, and ( somewhat ) in shape. WHile I not a fast hiker, I will catch up sooner or later...Love to hike with the group I "hang" with....we all move at about the same pace.

Doc just sent me some info, I am thinking of doing a section in October....gonna take 2 weeks off.....Starting to prepare now...getting ready will be half the fun..

Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12