Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images

Hiking the AT

I want to do this.....while it would take me 8 or 9 months..( yep old and slow ) I would love to have some of you who have hiked it tell me what you do for a living...

I work with the Dept. of Defense and have little time to be gone....How does one do it. I see tons of young people ( 19 - 23 ) college age, do this and can understand how....What about us "older" folk....

I have read tons of books, internet reports, and wached 100's of vid's on youtube...... How much does one plan on spending, what about gear, will mine work? do i need lighter stuff, etc. etc.

This fall I do plan on hiking a section of the AT.....maybe 50 or so miles....

WOuld love to hear ( read ) all your experiences and knowledge of the trail..

Jerry the Hiker
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'm working on plans to do the AT as well and would love any first hand knowledge anyone has too.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Appalachian Trail - Whiteblaze.net

Might be another place to post this as well.

Good Luck....we'll be waiting for you when you get back!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    How does one do it. I see tons of young people ( 19 - 23 ) college age, do this and can understand how....What about us "older" folk....
    A leap of faith.

I decided I wanted to do it. I wasn't happy with life, love, or my job so I figured, "What have I got to lose?" I sold everything that didn't fit in my truck, literally everything. I quit my job where I would have been made CEO this year had I stayed (according to succession planning). I drove my truck to my mom's house in Texas and took a flight to Atlanta. That's it.

After that, I just walked north and enjoyed breathing air again. It was supposed to be a complete reset on life. In many ways it was. I enjoy life and love now, but still dread going to work everyday. I made the mistake of coming back to the same field that I left; a little different view, but same field.

There really isn't much to hiking the AT. Lone Wolf on Whiteblaze often says "it's only walking" and I tend to agree. The hiking part is the easy part, it's the things and people that get left behind that are difficult. I didn't want to wait until I was retired and I missed my shot when I was a kid, so I took a leap of faith and just went. If I had it to do over again, there would be no hesitation. I was very lucky in the fact that my family offered me their complete emotional support. Genuine Draft and I got back together the week before I left for the trip and have been going strong ever since. It cost me a lot of money, both at the time and future earnings, but the mental rewards are worth tenfold.

Only problem is the addiction factor. It takes a great deal of willpower to stay home and go to work at a job I don't like when there are so many long trails out there. I'll go again in the future, but for now I'm being the good boyfriend while my girl is going to school. When she graduates, well let's just say negotiations have already begun.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I'm 22, I'll be 23 when I leave in the Spring for my thru-hike. The company that I work for offers "per diem" positions (I believe it requires working one four hour shift every 60 days) and since I was able to give them over 12 months notice (helps) they are going to allow me to become a "per diem" employee during my hike. I think I'll have to work once in South Carolina (where I have family who can pick me up, take me to work, take me to dinner and Wal-mart, and drive me back to the trail), again in Maryland (same deal), and maybe one more shift in NY or NJ (same deal, not family, but close friends).

It's a very unique situation I'm sure, and I'm in the collage age-group you mentioned, but while researching I often came across situations with people holding more serious jobs (I intake and process shipment for a clothing retailer, certainly not the Dept of Defense) wherein they investigate the extent of their benefits and programs offered by their companies. One person found out that they were allowed a one time sixty day period, 30 unpaid and 30 paid, in case of a serious life event. It was a part of their health package, and buried in the fine print, but that, combined with some saved up time-off, the mandatory vacation time, and some saved sick days, they were able to get the 5-6 months off they needed.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

I'm 60. How old are you? I started section hiking the AT in '03 and have done over 900 miles so far. It is a lot of fun (if you like such activity!); it can be a challenge; it can be rewarding. And the planning is as much fun as the hiking, thankfully for us section hikers. And you meet the nicest folks on the trail and online who are backpackers.

I posted a member trip report on WhiteBlaze.net of my very first section hike. You can read it there, if you like.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I have been hiking the AT for several years, wrote up most of my experiences on Trail Journals, you might find it interesting. I would be glad to answer any questions.
    But the best advice is just get out there. The trail (like life) will teach you what you need to know, if you pay attention. Happy Trails,

Duffy

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3894

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Chief!!!

Greetings fellow Navy Man.......thanks for the input

Jerry GMG2
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Just start section hiking a bit and that will help you make gear decisions.
    Don't be afraid to part with a piece of gear, just because it has always been with you. It is only gear. But remember, that it is not the gear that will make your hike. People hike the trail with gear that seems strange, some hike it with state of the art gear and some with a little of each and they all can and do go the distance. Whatever your gear decision and plans are, just remember to savor each day.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree Friendly
    I am 35 now and will be leaving for my thru-hike on 20 February 2012. I worked in network security for the government making a lot of money and then like the other tens of thousands of Americans I found myself unemployed due to budget cuts. So after a lot of searching I took a job at a large retail change making a tenth of what I was making. I see no future currently until the economy starts to roll again so I have decided its time for my thru-hike. My wife and daughter have both been very supportive. I have entered a rigorous training regiment to prepare. It is 271 days till 20 Feb but who is counting

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast