WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles

TX-150 Arrived Today!

Before I start, I don't have pictures. I know, I know but my wife has the camera taking pictures of her kids (she a teacher), but you can see great pictures in Bradley's review:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32341

I hung it with the stock suspension and took a walk around. With the spreader bars in place and the bug net and rain cover closed, it's basically a NX-150. When you look underneath, you see the reduction in pockets. Instead of four per side for a total of eight, you have two on each side or four total. These pockets have the flap covers with Velcro closure to keep debris, spiders etc. out. When I saw this in Bradely's review, I felt that the added flap may constrict the aperture of the pocket limiting large objects from going in easily but now I see why Bradley said it wouldn't be a problem. These are big pockets.

One thing that changed from Bradley's prototype is the addition of a two way zipper at the head cover. This allows the rain cover above the head to be opened varying amounts from the center. I'm happy to see that addition.

One thing to note is that I am a big guy (5'10" and 270) and I own an NX-250 but it feels very large around me and with it's width, I have a hard time setting my Speer WT in full winter mode with doors closed. I wanted this 150 for several reasons; one for my wife or daughter when they hang with me and the other is so I can have a thinner space under the tarp for wet conditions.

Today is 91F so the first thing I did was open all the ventilation before I got in. Once in, I could tell a big difference in how cool it was. The air under me and around my head/face was nice. This is much more suited for summer/hot climates. I noticed that there was Velcro sewn around the entire perimeter of the hammock so this could be for a Z-liner later but I was surprised it was all the way around. I may be able to use this later DIY.

As far as size, it felt smaller than the 250 of course but not too small for me. I still had plenty room to lay on my side and the best part is the shorter length. I can sit straight up and easily reach the bug net and rain cover pockets at the foot end. This is much easier to make changes from sitting in the hammock.

As far as workmanship, this hammock is made better than my previous NX-250. There are a few spots on it where the bug net was sewn into the zipper seam creating gathers but it doesn't cause me any problems. This TX-150 is sewn perfectly. I can find no flaws in stitching.

I am going to love this hammock. I'm looking forward to having it in my arsenal.
    Last edited by plaunius; 05-24-2011 at 18:44. Reason: spell check

Great review. My TX250 is supposed to be here tomorrow. I went the bigger route since I already have a Tropical II.

TX-250 arrived today. Can't wait to get home and hang it. Man this is a BIG hammock.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Hey guys welcome to the TX world

Thanks for the report

I will need to read it a couple more times.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plaunius View Post

I am going to love this hammock. I'm looking forward to having it in my arsenal.
    The mental image of having a hammock arsenal cracks me up. Congrats on your new hammock!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    The mental image of having a hammock arsenal cracks me up. Congrats on your new hammock!
    Yea, I don't know where that came from. It think it was a toss up between gaggle and arsenal.

Got the TX-250 hung, the tarp hung and the seams sealed before dark. I am now hanging in it as I type this on my I-phone. I will sleep in it tonight but I have to go in and get my UQ and TQ.

Plaunius has already given a great review above. The only thing different with mine is it is the bigger 250. It is huge. I am not a big person. I think two of me could sleep in here! Mine is also camo. I was told I got the first Camo one off the line.

I also switched out the suspension with a set of AIO system whoopies that I already had from Whoopie Slings. This will no doubt be my summer hammock. My Tropical II is going to be jealous!

Great job Clark, not a stitch out of place.

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    awesome! I got to see a older model clark at the MAHHA... MML had one with about 2000 miles on it I think It was definately a work of engineering!
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    Got the TX-250 hung, the tarp hung and the seams sealed before dark. I am now hanging in it as I type this on my I-phone. I will sleep in it tonight but I have to go in and get my UQ and TQ.

Plaunius has already given a great review above. The only thing different with mine is it is the bigger 250. It is huge. I am not a big person. I think two of me could sleep in here! Mine is also camo. I was told I got the first Camo one off the line.

I also switched out the suspension with a set of AIO system whoopies that I already had from Whoopie Slings. This will no doubt be my summer hammock. My Tropical II is going to be jealous!

Great job Clark, not a stitch out of place.
    Yea, I've got two sets of whoopies coming with my Hammock Gear order and can't wait to change out the suspension.

I bet it looks great in camo!

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plaunius

I might step out side of my box for a momment to say . . .

This week end you need to get your arsenal into your hammock . . .

Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast