HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web

hennessy opinion wanted

I already have the safari deluxe and love it. I didn't do my research and the super shelter won't fit the safari. I want another hammock anyway so here is the question.

Which one would you get if you were 6'1" 200 lbs the explorer, or the explorer deluxe?

Oh it will be used year round in the pacific north west.
    Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    well might I recommend keeping your hammock since you love it and just get an under quilt (UQ), depending on the weather you want to hang in either get a summer, 3 season or winter one, or one of each if you have that kind of cash, but seriously many have tried the super shelter (SS) and the reviews are mixed, but I've never heard anyone complain about a UQ, simple to install, can be vented if too warm, you have many choices to pick from, just do a search on the forum and the hardest part is making your choice, many come in 2/3, 3/4 or full lenghts so depending on what you need
    I hope this helps
    FRED

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    To my knowledge the main difference between the Explorer and Explorer Deluxe is weight rating.You are well under the range for either. There might be some nominal difference in width. (I haven't checked the spec for a while.) But to my mind that would be essentially negligible. The explorer is much lighter than the Safari and also significantly smaller. I went from my Safari to the explorer because I wanted a smaller hammock and a lighter hammock. The ability to use the Super Shelter was an important but secondary reason.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    ditto what RamblinRev said. The only difference is weight. You're essentially the same size as me, I have an Explorer Deluxe, and it is most certainly enough hammock for comfort.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    By "Explorer" I guess y'all mean Explorer UL? There's only 2 Explorers, right? Anyway, the UL is plenty strong enough for your weight and more than long enough for your height. I do seem to find the longer hammocks more comfortable though. So no reason to get a smaller HH unless you are determined to save a few oz no matter what.

The only possible reason I can think of to get the heavier Deluxe is possible durability, as you mention "continuous" use.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    im 6ft and I get by great with the expedition but id love to have an explorere UL just to try one a little longer
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Thanks for the information. I will be keeping the safari, I just havent seen the UQ listed to fit and was thinking any excuse to buy another hammock was a good one. When I lived only in TX I was on the rivers camping about 2 weeks a month, now that I am in OR most of the year I will not get out as much, but I still want to be out 3 weekends every month. lots to see!!

The safari will be great the times I am in TX as I camp out of my kayaks, and its almost like car camping. The outings in OR will be mostly hiking, thats part of the reason for the smaller HH that and not knowing which UQ to get for the safari.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    A normal 48"-50" UQ should fit your hammock fine, if you don't think it will you could always order a custom one built specifically for your hammock. Are you coming to the Oregon Hang the 4th, 5th, 6th? There's a thread in the Hangouts/Trip Planning category.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The Super Shelter requires less protection than an underquilt because the protection is already there. The undercover is waterproof which presents some potential problems for condensation, thus the need for the space blanket. The pad is very light but bulky. It can seem a bit fragile but it works fine with a few holes poked into it and it is the cheapest piece of insulation to replace except for a blue Walmart pad. I've been down to 12* F with mine when combined with a 0* cheapo Coleman sleeping bag and a good balaclava.

I'm not dissing on underquilts. For the money, which for me always a factor, and the amount of use it gets in really cold weather the Super Shelter made more sense. There is a learning curve but it is not terribly steep. I leave the undercover on all the time and pack the pad separately. That way it fits into a #4 snake skin.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I havent been hangin long enough to say I tested it in winter but it has worked for me for degrees from 49 to 70 or so. when it gets to 70 I hang with just the underpad and it worked great.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast