HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    A normal 48"-50" UQ should fit your hammock fine, if you don't think it will you could always order a custom one built specifically for your hammock. Are you coming to the Oregon Hang the 4th, 5th, 6th? There's a thread in the Hangouts/Trip Planning category.
    I will not make the Oregon hang, as I am in Texas until the 10th, but I hope to make the next one.

I just got done with 100 miles of paddling on 2 rivers in Texas, and my paddling buddies are not happy with me as they now want hammocks too!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

fred1diver has the right idea

My safari is my most comfortable of all the hammocks I have so... I would stay with what works and GET THE UNDER QUILT. I don't think you can go wrong this way.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

I'm a bit late for this party. Between serving as a volunteer at the Hennessy exhibit at Trail Days and a 10+ year user of his hammocks, I've used or laid hands on nearly all of the Hennessy products.

The Explorer Deluxe uses the same pattern as the Explorer Ultralite. The difference is in the materials used in constructing the hammocks, from the hammock body to the ropes. I don't recall if the two flies are identical or not. The Deluxe hammock body is made from a heavier and less expensive fabric which is more breathable and is more prone to mosquitoes biting through it. The Ultralight uses a 70 denier more tightly-woven fabric that is much harder for mosquitoes to penetrate with their proboscii. The Ultralight is lighter and packs down smaller.

If the user needs greater underside breathability more than he needs to cut weight and space, s/he may be happier with the Deluxe. I bought a Deluxe for hubby when his weight was over the Explorer UL limit, and before I knew I could order one with stronger hanging ropes. He was so pleased with the Deluxe that he didn't mind the bulk and weight. Of course, he doesn't often camp and hasn't backpacked since he left Scouting. I bought an Explorer UL with stronger ropes for him that is still in the original packaging. He SAYS he is going to backpack with me...

If the Safari works for you, fine. If you need to cut packweight and save space, go with the Explorer Ultralite. I doubt there is much of a durability difference between the UL and Deluxe models, from my experience, but weight adds up fast.

Regards,

Rosaleen
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Images
    Rosaleen,
    You are probably the person with the broadest knowledge of the HH line around here. You should check in more often!

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Thanks for all of the input. I have decided to get an under quilt for the safari, and buy an expedition deluxe and an under quilt for it too. And no I do not have a problem.... well maybe I do but it has nothing to do with hammock camping that i can see!!!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    Thanks for all of the input. I have decided to get an under quilt for the safari, and buy an expedition deluxe and an under quilt for it too. And no I do not have a problem.... well maybe I do but it has nothing to do with hammock camping that i can see!!!!!!
    Of course the UQ which will work for the Safari will also work for the Expedition. So you decided to get an Expedition instead of an Explorer? Just keep in mind that it is a good bit shorter than the Explorer, which is already a good bit shorter than the safari you are used to. OTOH, it will save you some weight if that is very important to you.

On my Safari, as well as my UL Explorer, I have used a JRB MW4 with excellent success. Just required a little suspension tinkering due to the extra length, but you'll be able to figure it out.

I have also used my WB torso UQ with fine results with both of those hammocks. However, mine have the nets removed. if you have bottom entry, no zip hammocks, it would be nearly impossible to adjust the WB after getting in. The JRB requires no adjustment after getting in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12