ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHangingTechy View Post
    Have you experienced a leak? how?
    i am not sure how, but suspect the material is not fully water proof. while the material looks and feels ok - smooth and rubbery to the touch on the inside - and the top was rolled up 3-4 times... still, both bags got wet on the inside after a very intense hour-long shower. that happened only once and it was not horribly wet inside, but still something to keep in mind.

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kobold View Post
    i am not sure how, but suspect the material is not fully water proof. while the material looks and feels ok - smooth and rubbery to the touch on the inside - and the top was rolled up 3-4 times... still, both bags got wet on the inside after a very intense hour-long shower. that happened only once and it was not horribly wet inside, but still something to keep in mind.
    Thank you i will

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Me too...

I ride this...

http://www.catrike.com/catrike_road.html

When I grow up I'm going to get a 2 wheeler...

And haul these...

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/ge...champlain-dlx/

Hold plenty of stuff...need big bags since I can't haul things anywhere else but rear rack.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Among commercial panniers, only some Arkels made for tandems are as big as the Ortlieb appears in the first photo.
    Long have I lusted after Arkel panniers. I did buy the old style hangers (before they were cam lock). They are fabulous on my DIY bags. I highly recommend them. They used to be available separately. I assume they still are.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I think I am going to get the Trek 520 for my touring bike.

Hammock
    byer amazon, eno doublenest, nano 7
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Insulation
    marmot pinnacle 15
    Suspension
    webs and biners
    What a fitting topic this is!

Bikes and hammocks go together as nicely as cheezeburgers and peanut butter!

I have been a rider for longer than I've been a hanger, but hanging has definitely changed the way I plan for longer rides. One of the trickiest things was always figuring out what to do with tent poles. Besides the higher-capacity Arkel's, I don't know of any pannier company that makes a specific spot for poles. This meant I was always clumsily strapping poles to my rear rack or top tube.

...and then hammocks came along and eliminated that problem altogether. After picking up my GT Nano, its silly not to always have it in my bag.

I currently have a 90's Bridgestone X0 with front and rear JANDD racks, use JANDD panniers, thumb shifter, TITEC J-BARS, and a small silver airplane with a prop that goes nuts when you go fast. Definitely a fine setup.

I would also recommend a visit to crazyguyonabike.com, as you can spend as much time looking at bikes as you can at hammocks. For some harmless bike ogling, I would go for fully loaded touring.http://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/fullyloaded.
    how do you get the forest ready for the party?
    ...you spruce it up!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    I just saw this thread for the first time. Last summer when I was in much better condition, I took several overnighters from the house either north on the Natchez Trace to Kosciusko where there is a bike only camp ground (61 miles) or south on the Natchez Trace to Rocky Springs public campground (60 miles). Since it's pretty hot in Ms, I took my ENO but would probably prefer my Speer now since it has the incorporated bug net.

My bike is a Bacchetta Cosa recumbent and since it can't take any extra weight after my fat butt, I tow a Burley Nomad.

How do you like the nomad?

Hammock
    Warbonnet(s)
    Tarp
    situational
    Insulation
    Love+down+IX
    Suspension
    Straps
    Bicycle touring is what originally led me to hammocking and this site. I really like the combo when I know there will be a place to hang. Slightly worried how it is going to work if I have to bring the 1/4" gossamer gear pad for when there might not be a place to hang because my set up is pretty streamlined:

I like the way bicycles and hammocks work together though-

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    How do you like the nomad?
    Any trailer is heavier than panniers and given the choice, I'd rather haul it than tow it.

With that said I like the Nomad. It tracks really well and In good weather, I take the cover and side walls off and strap my equipment in dry bags and that saves some weight. One thing I never understood is that the Nomad is supposed to weigh 14.8 and the Flatbed is 14.3. When I strip it down to make what is essential a flatbed, the stuff I take off seems a lot more than 5oz. The wheel are the heaviest part and if I were still using it, I'd have looked into a set of lighter wheels and smaller tires. With some tweaking, you could get it to 12-12.5.

I had a hard time filling it. It's 6400 cu in and while I know that I was only going out for two days but my gear wouldn't be a lot different for longer trips.

Here is a friend I ride with who has a recumbent very similar to mine with a higher weight limit. I rode his loaded and prefer his setup to mine. Sorry, it's a large picture.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast