Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
Sure, that'd do just fine for short (less than 40 miles a day) trips. Adding panniers to it is...odd, but doable. I'd be careful of what tires you put on it, though; gravel can be tough to ride on with road tires, depending on the subgrade. Personally, I'd take it in to a reputable local shop and talk with them about what you want to do.

If you know anyone in your local area who bikes on a regular basis (I mean touring or mountain biking or racing, not just around town), ask them where they get their bike serviced and what their impression of the place is. That should lead you to some good folks who really know bikes and are willing to work with you on what you want.
Thanks. There are a couple of shops in the area, but the closest is about 15 miles. I'll have to wait until my next trip to town. I'm fairly isolated out here. I don't really know anyone who bikes more than casually.

Why would panniers be odd on this bike? Those are the bags on the back, right? If I add a rack they should be OK, shouldn't they? I can't imagine riding with a pack, so I need some way to carry my gear.

Like I said, I'm totally new to this. I may be asking the wrong questions.