Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    All I've had for the last 7 years is a bicycle. I now have a van for doing my work, but the bike is my preferred form of transportation. First pic (left) is from 10 years ago going across America and the second (right) is my more modern steel steed going across America again last year. I love cycle touring.
    That's a sweet and obviously very intimate ride, with your Brooks, and fenders so close they would be stylish on a massively-shoed rear-end of a hard-tail Hog.
    All Ortlieb ultrasonic welded and racks that look Surly -- nothing fragile there, not even the cable to your earbuds.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    That's a sweet and obviously very intimate ride, with your Brooks, and fenders so close they would be stylish on a massively-shoed rear-end of a hard-tail Hog.
    All Ortlieb ultrasonic welded and racks that look Surly -- nothing fragile there, not even the cable to your earbuds.
    I purpose built the bike and the wheels for strength and simpicity. I have 40,000+ miles on her now. Yes I love my bike - I ride all year round. Surly Long Haul Trucker frame, Jandd expedition racks, Ortlieb bags,and a well broken-in Brooks saddle. All the gearing is mountain bike stuff - geared for climbing and hauling me and large loads. I'm only on my 10th chain - it has 5000 miles on it (from last years Trans America trip). I didn't start biking till I hit 40. Wish I'd of started much earlier in my life!

Hammock
    Warbonnet(s)
    Tarp
    situational
    Insulation
    Love+down+IX
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    This is the setup I used for a trip this weekend with my son, I carried all the gear so he could go light. Nothing fancy but it got us out there
    That is great that you are taking your son bike camping and hammocking. Sounds like you are laying the foundation for a top notch citizen.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A sym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Diamond Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Hey Lost_Biker,
    Snap! I have pretty much exactly the same set up with my LHT. She's lasted me across the States, and hopefully for many years to come. Theres a massive touring community on the West Coast and its great to think so many people want to explore via bike. I used my HH for the whole of my 3month trip and found only a few times (mainly in places like Ohio and Indiana) that it was a struggle to pitch with trees, so I ended up just pitching the tarp to keep me dry and slept on the floor.

Safe Cycling!

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Do any of you use tarps big enough to cover both your hammock and your loaded bike? If so, what tarp?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Long have I lusted after Arkel panniers. I did buy the old style hangers (before they were cam lock). They are fabulous on my DIY bags. I highly recommend them. They used to be available separately. I assume they still are.
    Yes, you can get the newer camlock hook kits from arkel.

I'll be digging out the WBBB and riding out to a nearby state park in Sept to check out my backpacking gear on my recumbent trike. Then in spring it will be Tour Time. Where, I don't know yet. Too many possibilities. Too many trees.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Do any of you use tarps big enough to cover both your hammock and your loaded bike? If so, what tarp?
    When it's just sprinkling or moderately raining with little wind, I pull the bike under my Hennessy Hex. It's got enough room to keep the bike mostly dry under those conditions.

If it's really going to come down, I put my military surplus poncho over the bike with the hood down and the snap closures snapped behind the back tire's splash guard and through the front tire's spokes. It keeps my beach cruiser dry even in pouring thunderstorms.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Bicycle touring is what led me to this site and the option of using a hammock instead of a tent. I will be taking early retirement at the end of the year and my gift to myself is a trip down Skyline Drive and the Blueridge Parkway. The last piece of kit I need is a shelter and the hammock is the winner. I haven't bought one yet but will pick one up in the next few weeks after I learn more about hammock camping. Oh yeah my bike is a Surly Long Haul Trucker with Tubus racks, Ortlieb panniers, Ortlieb handle bar bag, Brooks saddle, leather handle bar tape and last but not least wood fenders from woodys fenders. My avatar is a picture of her fully loaded. In case you can't tell I love that bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 12bar; 09-10-2011 at 20:43.

Hammock
    HH expidtion Zip mod #4
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    0* bag+HHSS
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling+biner
    That's pretty cool actually. I just do only some Backpacking and carcamping myself, but I am a commuter bike rider. My bike is not anywhere near that well hauled out with gear and bags. Currently I just have a Boulder SE circa 2010 with a rear rack, and panniers. I also have an el cheapo Outdoor Products Vortex bag. I'll put up pics at some point but nothing is speacial about my bike.
    Eagels may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked through jet engines!!

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    So I'm new to all facets - long distance biking and hammock camping. I wanted totally waterproof panniers. These are pelican 1430's with arkel mounting hardware.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337691049.052706.jpg

There's even a place to mount the gopro!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337691131.312772.jpg

There's no friend like a friend who works at a local school bus garage for a project like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337691176.960197.jpg

I do have an ultralight kit for this ride too: (by revelate o course):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337691253.132562.jpg

(this is from the day I picked it up - nearest dealer for this bike at the time was about 100 miles away so I grabbed a one way train ticket and rode as far home as I could....Life got in the way, wife had to come pick me up earlier than I wanted to quit riding, but, admittedly I got a little "off route" too....I've since this pic added the handlebar harness and pocket the Revelate makes. Check out Porcelain Rocket as well - he has some SWEET anything cage dry bags....and a set is on the way!!)

Primary purpose of the pelicans is to be able to safely take my dslr equipment on some trips. The capacity is good, like, for, chik fil a pickups:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337691356.082684.jpg

I wish I could take credit for the idea but the fellas at www.midnightmods.com are where I saw it first. They (the cases) also make a great "stool" to sit on.

I did splurge mildly for the lid organizers - the pockets make a great place for bike tools, extra tube, keys, etc...

C&O, GAP, and Greenbrier are intended for this summer.....by hammock of course....Over here on the east coast, finding trees shouldn't be a big deal...
    Last edited by autolox; 05-22-2012 at 08:02.
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast