Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I had thought about using a knot to make a loop on one end and feeding the other end through it and then using a marlin spike on the free end.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Why not just tie the two ends together using a water knot? The water knot uses very little length of the webbing (about the same as a closed loop would) and since it's rated for climbing it would be more than fine for a hammock

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    With heavier straps, for instance polyester from Strapworks, you'd have a bigger MSH, so you might want to use a longer toggle and perhaps have a slider on your whopie loop to keep it from slipping off one side if the knot makes the toggle angled (not perpendiculare to the strap & whoopie). This is another reason why the yellow Harbor Freight straps are a good choice.
    Pardon the newbie question, but your reply seems to be right along the direction I was thinking of going.

I'm planning on using a long tree strap with a loop on one end, passing the free end through the loop and using a MSH/toggle to hook my Whoopie Sling over. But my concern (having absolutely zero experience with this) is that the Whoopie Sling would tend to 'fall off' one side of the toggle, especially if it's adjusted pretty short so that there's a long distance from the toggle to the constrictor part.

It seems that a slider around the adjustable loop would be perfect for keeping it together, and thus less likely to fall off the toggle.

But what do you use for a slider? I'm thinking any sort of small bushing or even a small hex nut would work.

Also, how do you keep it in place (i.e. close to the toggle) without slipping down when tension is applied to the Whoopie Sling? Or is this really not an issue?

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    If you MSH to both free ends (instead of passing through a loop) then as each end comes off opposite sides of the tree the MSH "should" be more stable and less likely to keel over.

As for the slider - a paracord stop knot may do the trick.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Topplestack View Post
    Why not just tie the two ends together using a water knot? The water knot uses very little length of the webbing (about the same as a closed loop would) and since it's rated for climbing it would be more than fine for a hammock
    This is what I originally did, but because my knot is dangling at the very end three feet below the MSH and receives no stress, I figured "why bother with a loop at all?" If I encounter a tree with too large a diameter, I would just have to untie the water knot to turn it in to a single strap. Still, on an aesthetic level the water knot definitely makes it feel more finished. I may go back and retie it (give me an excuse to play with my gear ).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Pardon the newbie question, but your reply seems to be right along the direction I was thinking of going.

I'm planning on using a long tree strap with a loop on one end, passing the free end through the loop and using a MSH/toggle to hook my Whoopie Sling over. But my concern (having absolutely zero experience with this) is that the Whoopie Sling would tend to 'fall off' one side of the toggle, especially if it's adjusted pretty short so that there's a long distance from the toggle to the constrictor part.

It seems that a slider around the adjustable loop would be perfect for keeping it together, and thus less likely to fall off the toggle.

But what do you use for a slider? I'm thinking any sort of small bushing or even a small hex nut would work.

Also, how do you keep it in place (i.e. close to the toggle) without slipping down when tension is applied to the Whoopie Sling? Or is this really not an issue?
    Tobus,

If I understand your question correctly, you're worried about the adjustable loop falling off the toggle in the MSH of your tree straps. I use straps made from seatbelt webbing, which is probably 2" wide, so wider than what most use, but man does it grip the tree. First I make sure to put the adjustable loop on the top side of the knot created by the marlin spike hitch. When loaded, the adjustable loop is pulled behind the knot and it rests in between the folds of the webbing, which gives it enough resistance that it doesn't fall out. Unless you are using a climbing rated device for your toggle, I would never loop my whoopie on the toggle only. The toggle should be performing the duty of keeping the MSH knot from collapsing on itself, not as something to hang from. Sorry if I misunderstood your question or if my answer is too low-level to address your concern.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12