Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings

Two Tiny Tarp Projects And Some Questions

I have 2 items that I want to modify with some tie-outs.

1. One is a 5' by 7' Polyeurathane coated Outdoor Products Tarp (currently my avatar photo, but this will change in the future) that I want to sew grosgrain ribbon ties about 9 inches long for each end, placed on the center top and a few places around the tarp on the outside edges and the corners instead of using any of the 6 grommets on the edges of the tarp.

How I have avoided using some of the grommets directly on this tarp before, or at least spreading the stress load on them was to use a length of paracord with loops tied in various even spaces along that cord and threaded them in a zig-zag fashion through the grommets and out the ends. It worked to some degree, but not as well as it could be if I had tie-outs on this tarp. Not only that, but tie-outs would allow more configuration options.

What would be the best type of thread and needle size for sewing the tie-outs to this tarp?

Polyester?

2. The second project is to sew some tie-outs on a 5' by 8' Sil-Nylon Equinox Poncho Tarp in the locations of the material tabs that stick out near the side snaps. I might not necessarily want to use grosgrain here and my options might be to use some more strips of sil-nylon ribbon or sew the tabs folded over into loops to give me more configuration options. No ties will be needed in any center areas of the poncho.

The same questions apply as for the first project.

I do not know how to use a sewing machine very well and the only one that works in my house at the moment is a junky Singer Tiny Tailor which it says to use a Singer #14 machine needle only, picked up for near free at junk store.

I am thinking sewing by hand is a better option.

I want to cut my teeth on these 2 little projects before I head into doing anything on my larger Chinook tarp which I have put off for a year.
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Yes, 100% Polyester Thread. Either Tex 30 or 40 will be fine for thread size. Your #14 needle will be fine as well.

Enjoy!
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you can find them... use a #14 "sharp". If you can not a "universal" point will do. Do NOT use a "ballpoint" needle. If you have doubts about your machine handling the poly.. turn the fly wheel by hand. Run it first to make sure you turn the proper direction. That will still be faster than hand sewing with a better stitch and more consistency unless you are already a superb hand stitcher.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts