Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings

Treeless Options

Does anyone know of some light weight portable frame options to suspend a hammock in locations where there are few to no trees?

How light can it get to support 220 lbs and less?

Has anyone ever done any desert setups where there are no usable trees?

Some of the trees in desert areas I want to camp are protected.

I have something like a scissor board tripod frame in mind.

Not necessarily a light weight packing item (now that would be pretty neat, if possible), but something portable that would allow a hammock suspension without trees for dirt bike, or OHV camping trips.

Still of course, the lighter the better.

Something that would be lighter than a cot and allow higher suspension from the ground than most cots.
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Grand Trunk 10x10
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Build a stand. Turtlelady's can be made pretty light and compact.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27777
    "You can fight, fight without ever winning,
    But you can never, ever win without a fight"
    -Rush

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I'm working on a simple Tensegrity stand for one hammock that uses two 8' poles and one 6' pole, but it is not ready for the unveiling yet...

Here is the semi-portable Prarie Travois that we used in Big Bend NP last year:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    Thanks very much for the link.

That is really neat, I did not even give bamboo a thought for what I had in mind. It would certainly be light enough.
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    Great looking teepee pod you got there in your photos.

Looks like you might have some extra tarping options with it as well, such as a wind-break stretched over 2 of the poles or the convential A-frame over the top of the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY DL Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I'm working on a simple Tensegrity stand for one hammock that uses two 8' poles and one 6' pole, but it is not ready for the unveiling yet...

Here is the semi-portable Prarie Travois that we used in Big Bend NP last year:
    Alright Ill bite....those poles look to be about twice the length of the truck in the background. How did you get them from storage to use cause I know random 20 foot long bamboo stalks don occur naturally in the scrub.

Steve-O

Hammock
    Tinker T-7 / ENO DN / WBBB
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Check my photos, I made a tree-less hammock stand that I take on canoe trips on the river. It is made from 2x2 lumber and trapping anchors that are driven into the ground on the ends. Since I use it on the river in sand the anchors are removable and re-useable in my situation. Maybe you could use something from my setup and adjust to your needs.

I use bamboo and aluminum tubing for a portable stand. Bamboo is my hiking stick, and the aluminum can be cut in sections for portability. I did some compression force calculations for various diameter aluminum tubing and posted results on post #2 of this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21621

A bipod of aluminum tubing on either end could work with adequate guy-lines. I bipod on both ends, however, takes some time to get hanging well.

P.S. These long aluminum stakes at Campmor are excellent. Could hang from bipods using only one of these at each end as long as each stake is supported by a picket holdfast.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21105
    Last edited by bwg; 05-26-2011 at 23:21.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveToTheO View Post
    Alright Ill bite....those poles look to be about twice the length of the truck in the background. How did you get them from storage to use cause I know random 20 foot long bamboo stalks don't occur naturally in the scrub.
    Actually, they are 21' long! (My truck is 17'.) Skippy found them in a grove somewhere in Alabama, and we carried them on top of the truck. After all that trouble, we used them for two nights. However, at those two locations there was not a single pair of trees for miles around!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Skippy found them in a grove somewhere in Alabama, and we carried them on top of the truck. After all that trouble, we used them for two nights. However, at those two locations there was not a single pair of trees for miles around!

Talk about being a dedicated hanger, i like it
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast