Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB straps
    I know the temptations are bad and that is why it is hard I want to do this once cause of the cost.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    r79 - Welcome to the board! I have a Hennessy BackPacker UltraLight (HH) and a Warbonnet 1.7 Double layer (WB). Both are high quality products, but they serve different purposes.

The HH is very light and packs really small. The HH includes a tarp with the purchase. I substituted the larger hex tarp for no extra charge and I am glad I did. The larger tarp gives you a lot more coverage and more of a comfort factor, knowing that it is much harder for rain to get at you while sleeping. The HH is rated for lighter folks, basically under 200 lbs.

The WB is much larger and roomier than the HH. It is, of course, much heavier as it is a double layer of pretty heavy duty fabric. It gives me a flatter lay than the HH, especially for my feet. The foot box eliminates the tension on my feet, easing the cramping I get in the HH. The HH pushes on my feet, turning them upward. The WB allows my feet to flop apart more like I am in a bed. Also, because the WB is so much bigger inside, it allows me to lie at a more severe diagonal. The greater the divergence from the ridge line axis, the flatter I lay. Now, I am only 170#, but I often outfit my friends. So I went with the heavier rated product on the WB.

I've slept in both, but from now on, if I can choose, i.e. I don't have to lend out the WB, then I'll carry the WB.

For me, the extra weight is not really an issue. I have almost completely given up hiking and almost all my camping is canoe camping. When canoe camping, if I have to walk a mile or more, that is a long way. We really think nothing of having several 50 lb packs with us on a canoe trip. But if you are a hiker, then extra weight is a big issue. In that case, I would look at the lighter weight hammocks and tarps.

That said, note that the double layer hammocks can really help with biting flies and skeeters. Also, with the double layer, it is much easier to use a pad for bottom insulation. Having that pad along can make a big difference if something goes wrong and you have to sleep back down on the ground.

As for tarps, if you've got the dough, then you can GO. Cuben tarps, packs, etc. have made a big dent in the base weight that folks are now reporting. Silnylon is probably next best for weight, durability, and waterproof.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    The clark ultralight weighs a half pound more than my dbl 1.0, and the tarp has much less coverage. It also cost $15 more.

The reason I say blackbirds hold their value is because they do. If he gets one and decides he wants something else, he can sell it for pretty close to what he paid for it, if not exactly what he paid. My brand new hennessy expedition I sold that had never been used or even laid in sold for $50 less.

I'm not bashing any other hammocks. I'd love to try a clark. I'd love to try a exploer and hyperlight. They're just all very expensive since you have to buy tarps with them too.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB straps
    It sounds like I need to find someone in my area with a warbonnet.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    It shoud be easy to find some folk in your area to hang with...allover is where we all are.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    The clark ultralight weighs a half pound more than my dbl 1.0, and the tarp has much less coverage. It also cost $15 more.

I'm not bashing any other hammocks. I'd love to try a clark. I'd love to try a exploer and hyperlight. They're just all very expensive since you have to buy tarps with them too.
    Huh, that's a strange thing to say since I didn't have to buy a tarp for mine...it came with a specially designed canopy that was included with the price and the entire hammock is 100% waterproof and it includes a weathershield as well.

Did you have to pay extra for a tarp and weathershield for your Warbonnet.

LGL
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 05-29-2011 at 08:27.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless79 View Post
    What makes them so much better? Opinions are greatly appreciated.
    It’s a feeling.
    Try to lay in a WB Traveler or a WBBB.
    Then you will know why they are special.
    Not that other hammocks aren’t great.
    The important thing is to go out there and hang.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post

Are all Warbonnet hammocks still made in China (dirt cheap labor, if you even get paid) or are only a few models still made there?

LGL
    Warbonnet gear is made in USA unless otherwise stated.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Huh, that's a strange thing to say since I didn't have to buy a tarp for mine...it came with a specially designed canopy that was included with the price and the entire hammock is 100% waterproof and it includes a weathershield as well.

Did you have to pay extra for a tarp and weathershield for your Warbonnet, or did you just pay the cost to buy the materials to make one?

Also, let’s not forget that when you’re comparing cost\materials and where it's made, it's pretty much an apples to oranges comparison.

Are all Warbonnet hammocks still made in China (dirt cheap labor, if you even get paid) or are only a few models still made there?

LGL
    If memory serves he had a few tarps and 1 or 2 of the hammock options made in china not even close to all/most just to see how it would work out. Frankly I think your statement is as bad and on the same line as the ones on clark's site and I'm disgusted that members are now making them.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Stop trolling with misinformation. It was clearly pointed out that only one manufacturing run of WB was made in China as a test, and those items were marked as such on the site when sold. There were several lengthy discussions about that on the WB forum.

That is exactly the kind of argumentative and snide remark that isn't welcome on this site. Knock it off.

To the OP- I'm sorry this thread deviated. Try as many different hammocks as you can...one will 'feel right' to you.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast