Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

WBBB DL UQ Between Layers

Hope this isn't covered elsewhere. I love my 1.0 DL. I have been using the Hennessey Underpad and a Space Blanket and it is good for late Spring-early Fall. I am considering going to just a UQ for the colder months. My question is whether the gap between layers is loose enough. Is it simply better to add the UQ underneath so there is less compression? How do most do this?
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The UQ should go under the hammock. If you want and or need to you can add a pad between the two layers
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    The UQ should go under the hammock. If you want and or need to you can add a pad between the two layers
    And by pad, I'm sure he refers to a relatively un-compressible pad, like a closed cell foam pad or an inflatable/Thermarest type.

When you say "Hennessy underpad", do you mean the HHSS open cell foam pad? Because it is quite compressible, and I would think it would get quite compressed in the WBBB dbl layer, though it won't compress as much as down. I bet you are getting a lot(most?) of the warmth from the space blanket(not compressible). But, as Gunner said, the HH OCF underpad is meant to go under the hammock, so that it will remain un-compressed. Having said that, good to hear you have made it work for you. But I bet- at the same weight as the HH pad and SB, a regular CCF pad would be WAY warmer used in the WB pad pocket.

But if you are using the Hennessy bubble pad, never mind, continue on as you are doing.

PS: have you tried hanging the HH pad under the hammock? Should work if you get the pad suspension cord adjusted to the right length so that the pad is just snug against you body. But without excess tension to avoid damage.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    And by pad, I'm sure he refers to a relatively un-compressible pad, like a closed cell foam pad or an inflatable/Thermarest type.
    Yes, I use a wallyworld blue pad 24" wide by about 72" long in my BB. The double layers of the BB helps to keep the pad shifiting to a minimum. I find a 20" wide pad too narrow for me. My wife can use a 20" wide pad with no problem.

I tried an inflatable pad but (for me) did not find it to be any comfortable or give me anymore insulation than the close cell pad plus the close cell pad weights and cost less.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 05-29-2011 at 08:33.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    In the colder months I add Insul-Bright between the layers to help the UQ. I don't like the pads and because the Insul-Bright is wider I don't have to make a SPE.
    I would not put an UQ in between the layers. Loft is your friend...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Thanks!

Thanks for the input all. Yes I was using the SS Underpad and I see now why I was a little chillier than I should have been. I had assumed the gap was designed loose so that a UQ could be added inside instead of hanging it outside.

because of bulk I'm not a fan of the CCF pads (I have a thermarest CCF, a yellow egg carton/waffly thing) but like that I can store my SB in there permanent. Looks like I'll be getting a UQ sooner than later. Or better yet, maybe I'll hook up the SS pad and undercover underneath and see what happens. Only problem now is my ability to store in snakeskins, not a big deal as I just throw my skins in a stuffsack anyway.

Thanks again!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    ...... Looks like I'll be getting a UQ sooner than later. Or better yet, maybe I'll hook up the SS pad and undercover underneath and see what happens. Only problem now is my ability to store in snakeskins, not a big deal as I just throw my skins in a stuffsack anyway.

Thanks again!
    That pad should work find after a little experimentation on getting the pad suspension adjusted right so that it pulls up just barely snug against your bod, but not snug enough to crush loft. Keep the SB on top of the pad when extra warmth needed. Come up with some kind of UC ( breathable or even the HH UC if it will fit safely) and it should be equivalent to a SS on a HH.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That pad should work find after a little experimentation on getting the pad suspension adjusted right so that it pulls up just barely snug against your bod, but not snug enough to crush loft. Keep the SB on top of the pad when extra warmth needed. Come up with some kind of UC ( breathable or even the HH UC if it will fit safely) and it should be equivalent to a SS on a HH.
    Thanks for the advice BillyBob! I'm gonna try it right now!

Post Script:

Just set it up, works great. comfy warm. I kept the Space Blanket in the gap so I don't have to repack each time. Once I remove the underpad I can still fit my snakeskin over the WBBB/SB/UC. I find the UnderPad fits just right if I just hook it over the gathered end of my WBBB. Only drawback is it's hard to tie out the sides of my BB, but I don't always do that anyway (I'm sure I can rig it up when I have the time in the field).

Now with my down bag (haven't jumped into the TQ/UQ pool yet) I should be able to push this as a real good 3-season (wet or dry) setup.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Hangandy; 05-29-2011 at 20:16.

• + New Posts