Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long Time Lurker -- First Hanging

After a lot of reading, research, and back yard testing, I finally did an overnight hang -- actually two overnight hangs.

I set up a Grand Trunk double with a ridge line, using 1/8" Amsteel Blue and a couple of stainless rings. Since I'm not backpacking, I retained the metal hardware. The rings are tethered to each metal clip so that I can disconnect them and slide the snakeskins I made down over the hammock without having to stow the ridge line separately. I have about twenty feet of Amsteel connected to each end for lines. My tree straps are from Harbor Freight tiedowns, and my tarp is a 14' diamond fly from Sportsmans Guide.

I am currently using two unzipped sleeping bags -- an older mummy bag under me as a pad, and a square bag over me as a quilt. I sleep at an angle of about 45 degrees in the hammock, seemingly pretty flat.

Everything works pretty well, but there are a few wrinkles left to iron out. The suspension works well, although I think that I want to increase the size of the shackles so that the amsteel isn't wrapped around such a small diameter.

My "underquilt" causes me the most difficulty, mostly from the difficulty of getting it aligned. It wants to align along the axis of the hammock rather than under my spine where I want it. It also compresses too much. I think that a true underquilt will solve this problem.

My tarp gave me good coverage, but is definitely more breezy than a tent.

The first night was perfect. Once I got the underquilt aligned, I slept more comfortably than I normally do at home. The wind didn't bother me. Everything was great -- until I finally forced myself out of bed in the morning. Halfway out of the hammock, I got a cramp in my lower leg and went sprawling on my face, right in front of half a dozen spectators.

The second night wasn't as good. I had dropped the sides of the diamond fly to lessen the wind, and it cramped me as I was trying to align the lower pad. As a result, I wasn't as careful. Also, the wind deflected the fly until it bore on the ridge line, and bounced the hammock all night long, and the wind seemed to be funneled into the hammock. I think that experimenting with different setups will help this.

All in all, both nights were good. I have a ruptured disk, bursitis, and carpal tunnel. Both mornings found me awake with much less pain than I normally suffer when sleeping in a regular bed. The concept looks like a keeper!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Welcome aboard and congrats on your first (and second) hang.

As a suggestion you might want to try the rectangular bag under your hammock and mummy for a TQ, also try lowering your tarps ridge line, if you can, to help with coverage. Just my 2 cents.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome.
    Try suspending your "underquilt" under the hammock on shockcord. It allows the bag to float around the underside of the hammock, and helps it not get compressed by your body weight.
    You may find that the full size sleeping bag/underquilt is to large and you may need to cut it down in size to work well with the hammock.
    Take a look at the underquilts available from the vendors here. It may give you an idea of what sizes of uq are popular and work with a hammock. If sewing and diy are not option, consider purchasing an uq.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Welcome to Hf And HaPpy Hanging.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    TTTG SB dbl
    Tarp
    OES SWT
    Insulation
    HG 20/Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Welcome to hammock forums! it sounds like you are off to a good start.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the HF from your Northern neighbours!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo Buddy)))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Welcome,

You may find that your rectangular bag might fit over your hammock. Just unzip the foot a little and put your suspension line through the opening. You can push the bag toward the foot, get in, and pull it back over you. I have used this method many times for friends trying out hammocks. Of course, if you need a bug net that does not completely encircle the hammock, this won't work so well. Good luck with your set-up.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Welcome.
    Try suspending your "underquilt" under the hammock on shockcord. It allows the bag to float around the underside of the hammock, and helps it not get compressed by your body weight.
    You may find that the full size sleeping bag/underquilt is to large and you may need to cut it down in size to work well with the hammock.
    Take a look at the underquilts available from the vendors here. It may give you an idea of what sizes of uq are popular and work with a hammock. If sewing and diy are not option, consider purchasing an uq.
    I started learning to sew (I'm STILL learning) shortly after I left home, back in the dark ages before the transistor, when vacuum tubes ruled.

Since I no longer back pack, weight is not a concern to me, although bulk is. Since I sleep at a 45 degree angle in the hammock, the UQ would of necessity have to be at least four feet wide at the greatest point. Were it to be insulated throughout, it would be quite bulky. My initial thought is to make an outer wrapper that covers the hammock bottom for wind protection and alignment, with an insulated area that covers the portion of the hammock in which I sleep. I'm going to have to think on this some.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast